Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski

by aditya8062 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:25 pm
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines.

A) Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes
B) Vir, examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
C)Vir, earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
D)Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe and includes
E)Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including

my doubt : can i eliminate option C because literal reading in C tends to say that " Lepenski Vir" is an "earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe"
when in fact option B removes this ambiguity by using "examples", which clearly refer to "Sculpted boulders"

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:46 am
Spot on. Good work. Clearly you eliminated the rest because of 'includes' and 'including'
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:48 am
aditya8062 wrote:Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes 15 figures with human features similar to Upper Paleolithic forms and to Middle Eastern Nantufian stone figurines.

A) Vir, an example of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, includes
B) Vir, examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
C)Vir, earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe, include
D)Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe and includes
E)Vir are examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe, including[/i]

my doubt : can i eliminate option C because literal reading in C tends to say that " Lepenski Vir" is an "earliest of monumental art known from central and western Europe"
when in fact option B removes this ambiguity by using "examples", which clearly refer to "Sculpted boulders"

Thanks
Focus on the intended MEANING:
Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir include 15 figures with human features.
Since only B and C offer this core structure, eliminate A, D and E.

C: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, earliest...
Here, earliest seems to modify Lepenski VIr, implying that Lepenski Vir -- a PLACE -- is a type of ART that is EARLIEST.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate C.

The correct answer is B.

B: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, examples of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe...
Here, boulders and examples are APPOSITIVES.
Appositives are nouns or noun phrases that appear side-by-side, with the second serving to explain or define the first.
In B, the BOULDERS are defined as EXAMPLES of the earliest monumental art known from central and western Europe.
Since EXAMPLES is plural, its intended referent is clearly not Lepenski Vir but BOULDERS, the nearest preceding plural noun.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:14 am
thanks GURU
u said :C: Sculpted boulders found at Lepenski Vir, earliest...
Here, earliest seems to modify Lepenski VIr, implying that Lepenski Vir -- a PLACE -- is a type of ART that is EARLIEST.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate C.
i get a feeling that you are implying that "literal reading" takes precedence over "common sense" reading .
in the question above the "literal reading" sense tell us that in option B "examples" can only refer to "Sculpted boulders" and i am oki with that; however, sometimes i get stumped when certain options are credited as correct based on "common sense" reading ,for instance the following question (NOT FROM PREP) stumped me :

All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted porches are signs of a brisk urban renewal led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time.

A. renewal led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time
B. renewal led by new immigrants, with one clapboard house at a time
C. renewal that has been led by new immigrants, with one clapboard house at a time
D. renewal, which had been led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time
E. renewal, which has been led by new immigrants and one clapboard house at a time

in the proclaimed answer A "one clapboard house" (an apposition) seems to refer to "new immigrants" . how do i reconcile this?

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:15 am
thanks JIM for your confirmation

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:43 am
one house at a time is a not an appositive but an ADVERB.
For example:
Residents are REBUILDING the neighborhood ONE HOUSE AT A TIME.
Here, one house at a time serves to indicate HOW residents are REBUILDING.
HOW are residents REBUILDING the neighborhood?
They are rebuilding it ONE HOUSE AT A TIME.
Conveyed meaning:
First ONE HOUSE is rebuilt, then ANOTHER HOUSE is rebuilt -- and so on -- until the ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD has been rebuilt.
aditya8062 wrote:the following question (NOT FROM PREP) stumped me :

All across Detroit, whitewashed fences, new roofs, and freshly painted porches are signs of a brisk urban renewal led by new immigrants, one clapboard house at a time.
As I noted above, one house at a time is an adverb.
Here, one clapboard house at a time seems to be modifying led (the nearest preceding action).
Conveyed meaning:
Urban renewal is being led ONE HOUSE AT TIME.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Ignore this SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by feedrom » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:28 am
Good suggestion, Mitch!

I also came across the example with "one clapboard house at a time" and totally got confused.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by renetan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:40 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:one house at a time is a not an appositive but an ADVERB.
For example:
Residents are REBUILDING the neighborhood ONE HOUSE AT A TIME.
Here, one house at a time serves to indicate HOW residents are REBUILDING.
HOW are residents REBUILDING the neighborhood?
They are rebuilding it ONE HOUSE AT A TIME.
Conveyed meaning:
First ONE HOUSE is rebuilt, then ANOTHER HOUSE is rebuilt -- and so on -- until the ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD has been rebuilt.
aditya8062 wrote:the following question (NOT FROM PREP) stumped me :

As I noted above, one house at a time is an adverb.
Here, one clapboard house at a time seems to be modifying led (the nearest preceding action).
Conveyed meaning:
Ignore this SC.
How about with one house at a time?[/b]

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:35 am
renetan wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:As I noted above, one house at a time is an adverb.
Conveyed meaning:
Ignore this SC.
How about with one house at a time?
A preposition such as with must be followed by a NOUN or a noun phrase.
This noun or noun phrase is called the OBJECT OF THE PREPOSITION.
One house at a time is not a noun-phrase but an ADVERB.
An adverb cannot serve as the object of a preposition.
Thus, with one house at a time (with + ADVERB) is not a viable construction.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3