CR OG 10, 13 too easy??

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

CR OG 10, 13 too easy??

by synchrodestiny » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:58 am
HI

Is it just me or is the question bank of OG 10 and 13 too easy wrt to the actual GMAT test CR? I got hands on a few other sources and the standard was way too high?

In toto, what resource do you think can complement OGs as a good prep for CR? As realistic as possible that is, since I just have a month to go.

Thanks

Synchro

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:58 am
Since the official test is computer adaptive, you are pretty much guaranteed to see questions that are on the threshold of your abilities (neither way beyond your abilities nor way below), so it's hard to say what resource is best suited to your particular skills. That said, the OGs are arranged in order of difficulty, so perhaps you can find your "sweet spot" there.

Alternatively, some students resort to solving LSAT CR questions, but keep in mind that many of those questions rely on some formal logic that the GMAT doesn't test.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by synchrodestiny » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 pm
Thanks for the reply Brent

I am following 60-day sched with both Manhattan and GMATPrepNow's videos. Actually am done with Manhattan all 8 guides and OG13 Quant, SC and CR. Additionally, solving 2015 quant and verbal guides by GMAC.

My approach is to do these very very well so that I dont miss anything that they have to offer. And then tests. I got 710 (47Q 41V) in GMATPrep (Day 3 of 60-Day)and 730 (49Q, 41V) last week. GMAT is on 4th Sept. Want to know what additional material I may consult. I am a bit wary of picking up too much.

I want to take as many tests as possible and basically concentrate on Quant as I believe I cannot drastically improve Verbal by practice, esp CR and RC. I have loopholes in Quant even though I got good score. Please suggest further action. Time and again, pangs of 'am i doing enough?? I should be drowned in books!!" bite me in the eye.

Thanks Brent

Synchro

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:44 pm
Great scores, Synchro!
How far are you through the 60-Day Guide?

It seems that, at this point, it's just a matter of fine tuning things. Start looking for minor issues that may be affecting your score. I like your idea of taking lots of practice tests. Be sure to carefully analyze each practice test and, while doing so, watch out for four main types of weakness:
1. specific Quant skills/concepts (e.g., algebra, standard deviation, etc.)
2. specific Verbal skills/concepts (e.g., verb tenses, assumption CR questions, etc.)
3. test-taking skills (time management, endurance, anxiety etc.)
4. silly mistakes

For the first two weaknesses, the fix is pretty straightforward. Learn the concept/skill and find some practice questions to strengthen that weakness. To focus on one topic at a time, you can use BTG's tagging feature to isolate one concept. For example, here are all of the questions tagged as statistics questions: https://www.beatthegmat.com/forums/tags/ ... statistics
See the left side of that linked page for more tag options.

If your test-taking skills are holding you back, then you need to work on these.

Finally, if silly mistakes are hurting your score, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article for BTG: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/09/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by synchrodestiny » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:53 pm
Thanks Brent

I am at 46th day but effectively need to go back and go through a day of RC and Integrated Reasoning..but yes i took the GMAT Prep test.It was on 43rd day. So you can say around 20 days of course left and then I will have a week left until 4th of September. I will take an off during that week so I can concentrate fully.

Thanks for your advice. I will abide by it. I am purposely NOT looking at stuff like PowerScore, Kaplan, Princeton and other voluminous books that I am sure must be amazing but I do not have bandwidth for them. All I am doing is follow Manhattan, Powerprep videos, reviews from tests, GMAC Quant and Verbal Books. Right? Effective material I think, not too much swaying in search of pseudo practice.

Thanks

Synchro