GMAT score: 680. Good enough profile?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMAT score: 680. Good enough profile?

by Eagle Girl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:54 pm
Hi all,

I took GMAT yesterday and scored 680 (Q:48 and V: 35).
I doubt whether my overall profile is impressive enough to offset this score.

Here it is:

I am a 25 year old Indian Female.

My academic side has been consistently good right from my school days.
My CGPA: 8.1 / 10

And this is my work experience:
Worked in IT industry: 1 year
Worked as an Associate Software Engineer in Accenture India. Somehow IT was not my calling and I resigned the job. But on the plus side, I was working as an SAP consultant in Sales and Distribution module. So I have some basic knowledge about that.

Took up a part time course in Audio Engineering and started working on my music album. Now, I have interned in a music studio for three odd months and after that I have been mostly self employed. I composed songs, wrote lyrics and produced a 40 minute album with 10 tracks. Now I won't say my album was a commercial hit, but I still consider it my personal achievement.

Worked as a Journalist: 1 year
I have worked full time in an evening English Daily called News Today and it has been one of the most enriching experiences of my life. Since it was not a very big newspaper, I was able to get diverse exposure in different beats. I got to interact with people in different walks of life.

I have experience
reporting,
conducting interviews,
writing features,
covering entertainment - art, music, dance, drama,
reporting social / environmental issues,
writing about science and technology,
penning down off-beat stories of my choice,
editing sports columns,
attending product launches etc,
writing about lifestyle,
reviewing restaurants and food.

I somehow wish to marry music and my writing talent, complementing them with a sound knowledge in Marketing, in case I start my own business venture later on in my life. Hence my idea to take up MBA in Marketing.

Of course, the business venture will take time to conceive. for now, it is just a faint idea running in the back of my mind. Until then, I wish to work and gain a lot of insight about running a business.

So do you think I have a chance to get into a good college? Or should I take GMAT again and cross the 720 border to improve my chances?

by gmathopeful25 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:10 am
I think whether you should retake depends on how much of an improvement you think you can realistically make. The 680 GMAT puts you below the average GMAT at all top schools. A 700 GMAT would put you below the average GMAT at almost all top school, so I don't think it would make much of a difference. But if you think you can get a 730 GMAT that would put you above the average GMAT at all schools. That would help a lot. You need to be honest with yourself about how much you think you can improve and make a decision based on that. Good Luck!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by NB1234 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:34 am
Schools follow certain guidelines which vary from one to another. Generally, most of the top schools, want diversity(so if too many indians, most of them from IT, are there then something extraordinary has to pop up about the candidate, though they do like women representation). Schools also want to ensure that you fall in a score band and a GPA band. The highger the ranking of the school, the narrower the bands and the higher the upper range of the GPA/GMAT score. This is a general guideline so there are outliers but the bell curve fits these criterion.

Your score may be ok for some of the top schools as long as you can demostrate some unique work exp. I like the fact that you have done journalism and are now in IT and are working on an album so perhaps some admissions consultants might find that your story and background is strong and you dont need to retake GMAT. Im not in an adcom though so dont count on me:).

Figure out what you want to do with the MBA(MBB consulting, finance, trading, promotion etc) and then narrow down the schools you want to apply to. Then check their GMAT ranges, GPA ranges and take some advice from the admission consultants on the separate forum on this site.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 pm
Hi Eagle Girl,

Your GMAT score and overall profile look solid, so you should apply to any school that you'd like. You should note that the application process can be remarkably competitive (especially at the Top Schools), so you have to make sure that your overall application is strong (including personal statements, interview, etc.). To that end, you might consider working with an Admissions Consultant so that you can craft the strongest application possible.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by shimonti » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:04 am
How is 680 (Q48, V35) for an Indian non-IT female applicant with over 5 years of experience in MNCs, good career progression and good acads? I am only targeting 1 year MBA programs in Europe.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:31 am
Hi shimonti,

This is a question that would probably be best answered by an Admissions Expert (so you should post this in the Admissions Forum (on this site) and you would likely need to provide some additional details, especially the school(s) that you're planning to apply to. At face value, I think that you would probably be a strong applicant, assuming you present yourself in the proper way. It's worth noting that the application process is more than just your qualifications, it's also the effort that you take to "brand" yourself and convince the schools of your eagerness to attend.

Rich

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sultana199 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:52 am
Hi, your score is good enough to admit into an MBA program. Now, go for next step. I think this link https://www.statementofpurposeformba.com ... admission/ will help you in your next step that is applying for the MBA program into a good school.

by cinderellaman143 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:47 pm
In the last MAT exam i got a score of 90 percentile and still i never got a good college without donation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 pm
Hi cinderellaman143,

The GMAT score is just one piece of the overall application, so you can't expect just one strong "piece" to guarantee you anything. The admissions process is really about "selling yourself" to Business Schools, so you have to be qualified AND you have to present yourself in an effective way.

There's also the "math" issue - Top Business Schools receive lots of applications, but can only accept a small number of applicants. For example, Harvard and Stanford typically reject 90% - 95% of applicants - not because the applicants were unqualified, but because EVERYONE was qualified and there are only so many spots available.

Working with an Admissions Expert can be beneficial. With top programs, there's a reasonable argument to be made that it's necessary.

Rich

by sbala142 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:57 am
Hi, your score is good enough to admit into an MBA program. Now, go for next step. keep it up

by arun7576 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:21 pm
yes your score is enough