A long journey from 540 to 710.. perserverance and hard work

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:710
Dear All,
Yesterday, I took my second attempt at GMAT and scored 710( Q50/V35 and IR 3). I have hardly contributed much to this awesome forum but, have received lot of motivation and guidance from the experts and other fellow members.
I would finally like to thank "beat the gmat" community particularly experts who have always responded very warmly and promptly.

Although, I am bit worried about my miserable performance in IR where I scored just 3(25percentile). Can experts please share here how seriously it would affect my overall score and fate of my application.

Thanks
Abhishek

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:50 am
abhi.iitb wrote:Dear All,
Yesterday, I took my second attempt at GMAT and scored 710( Q50/V35 and IR 3). I have hardly contributed much to this awesome forum but, have received lot of motivation and guidance from the experts and other fellow members.
I would finally like to thank "beat the gmat" community particularly experts who have always responded very warmly and promptly.

Although, I am bit worried about my miserable performance in IR where I scored just 3(25percentile). Can experts please share here how seriously it would affect my overall score and fate of my application.

Thanks
Abhishek
Many Congratulations on your success Abhishek!!!

I must say you justified 'iitb' part of your user ID. :)

IR score doesn't directly contribute to your application however different schools have different criteria of taking that part seriously.

I would say, Don't worry about it. Celebrate the score and prepare to apply in schools you are targeting.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

by abhi.iitb » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:48 am
Thanks a lot for your wishes. Great comic timing :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07 am
Hi Abhishek,

That's great news. Congrats. A 710/Q50 puts you into position to apply to any US Business School, so you shouldn't be concerned about your IR score. Many schools have publicly stated that they don't factor in the IR score when evaluating applicants, so an IR3 likely won't affect your application at all.

What schools/programs are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by abhi.iitb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:47 am
Hi Rich,
Thanks for alleviating my worries. I have few B schools in mind
1.ISB, Hyderabad, India
2.NUS, Singapore
3.Schulich B-School
4. Tepper(CMU)

But I am still researching since I am looking for schools who can provide me a platform for career change. As I am looking for shift from my current Industry.
At many forum I have read that for career change 2 yr course are preferable than 1 yr. what is your opinion on that??

My brief profile is as follow:
Indian male, 31 yr
Work exp: 7 yrs
Industry: Manufacturing( ArcelorMittal, a fortune 500 company and the world biggest steel manufacturing company)
Role: Project Management cum Strategy
Under graduation: B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay(IIT Bombay), India
GPA: 2.70
Extra curricular: few
Can you help me identify some B schools in line with my goals. Post MBA, I would like to enter consulting/FMCG or corporate strategy profile.Considering current global economic Scenario, I am bit skeptic regarding European B schools.

Thanks
Abhishek

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:18 pm
Hi Abhishek,

Your questions now are all Admissions-based questions, so your best move is to contact an Admissions Expert (there's a Forum full of these experts on this site). The application process is standardized, but you have to make sure to properly present yourself to each of the schools that you apply to - since it's more than just your qualifications that they're considering. This might require some additional expenses, but an MBA from a top school is worth it.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]