pre-mba math class

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

pre-mba math class

by tpz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 pm
Just went to an MBA fair and the consensus was among the admission directors that in order to improve quant skills for non-business majors, it's a good idea to take a math class prior to applying. Any ideas on the best quant classes that I could take for a decent or free price? I found a Data Analysis and Quant class on coursera.com but I've never heard of that site before... is it legit? Or is a class from a community college or UCLA Extension type program better?

Any input would be appreciated! I was an English major so I honestly don't even know what type of math class would prepare me for my MBA.

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:49 pm
Hi tpz,

Many MBA programs require some kind of prior classwork in Calculus and/or Statistics, so if you did not take those classes as an undergrad in college, then you might consider doing so before you apply to Business School. You can likely find an acceptable equivalent class at a local community college or University extension program.

If you'd like to know if a given class would fulfill that "requirement", then you should contact the Admissions Office of the MBA program directly - the schools Officers will let you know if you're making an appropriate choice.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]