over 700 in less than three months!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

over 700 in less than three months!

by andreab » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:06 am
Hi everyone. After three months of intense studying I finally managed to get the score I wanted on the GMAT.

I started studying for the GMAT in April 2014, purchasing the offical guide and a few other books. The first thing I have done was to take a full practice test, to understand my starting point. Then I started studying, my initial approach was not very well structured I was doing different exercises on different topics, jumping from verbal to quant. I soon realized this was not the right approach. I felt I needed to focus more on every single topic, and more importantly to have a specific approach to every different type of question. I think this is fundamental in order to get questions right and to understand how to tackle the question.

In order to do this I went to target test prep. I chose this company among all the others on the market thanks to the referral of a good friend. I started using their Online GMAT Math Self-Study Course, and it was great. The tool is built around each different type of question you can find in the test, and for each topic there is a theory session (very clear) and tons of exercises. I believe that practice is the key to this test, and thanks to Target Test Prep Online GMAT Math Self-Study Course i was really able to put this into practice, doing hundreds of questions for each topic. In addition to the on-line tool I also did one-one tutoring with Jeffrey Miller form TTP. He helped so much, he was able to explain things to me in a very clear and easy way, alwasy giving me the right questions. In addition to this Jeff was able to help me with timing, in order to spend the right amunt of time on each topic.

After a few months on the on-line tool and tutoring I approached again the GMAT offical guide and its practice questions. It made so much more sense, after tutoring with Jeff my approach to the questions completely changed, I was getting more questions right and I was much faster.

After a few months I also started doing one practice test a week, in order to get more and more confident with the test, and then reviewed each test with Jeff after. I think this helped a lot especially in terms of time management.

After three months tutoring with Jeff, I took the test. It went well I scored what i wanted. And it was such a relief to get it done.

In conclusion I believe that the key to this test is a lot of practice and your approach to the test, you need to have a very structured approach to it in order not to waste time and really improve, and I think that having Jeff helping me with this really made the difference. In the end I scored 720!!

Best of luck to all of you!!
Last edited by andreab on Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:43 am
Many Congratulations for such a good score!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience.
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by gmat barcelona » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:29 am
Congratulations on your awesome score!!!

Get all the information you need about GMAT Prep Course in Técnicas Lingüísticas Aplicadas, the leading GMAT experts in Barcelona.
Alexander Steward
GMAT & GRE Instructor
GMAT, TOEFL, GRE, IELTS & TOEIC Center Barcelona
**Prepara el Gmat en Barcelona con los expertos**
https://www.gmatbarcelona.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:26 pm
Congratulations, andreab.
andreab wrote:I felt I needed to focus more on every single topic, and more importantly to have a specific approach to every different type of question. I think this is fundamental in order to get questions right and to understand how to tackle the question.
This is key.
Focus on a topic until you understand/appreciate all of the possibilities.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com