Policy Makers MGMAT CAT SC

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Policy Makers MGMAT CAT SC

by qwerty12321 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:45 pm
Policy makers remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far.

remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, although there are few signs of increasing energy prices driving up the cost of other goods so far

still remain concerned about the prospects of inflation; there are as yet few signs that increasing energy prices are currently driving up the cost of other goods

remain concerned about the prospect for inflation, even though as yet few signs of higher energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods so far

still remain concerned about inflation, even though there are currently few signs that increasing energy prices drive up the cost of other goods

remain concerned about the prospect of inflation, despite the dearth of signs thus far that increasing energy prices are driving up the cost of other goods

Can someone please explain how option E is correct?

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:23 pm
Hi qwerty12321,

This SC is based on some rarer Style/Idiom rules and a bit of Modification:

1) Redundancy - Redundant language and phrases are rarely correct (barring some types of parallelism). For example, "new initiative" and "combined together" are redundant phrases. Grammatically-speaking, you don't need both words in each phrase (e.g. the word "initiative" means "new", so having both words is unnecessary and incorrect style). The phrase "still remain" is another redundant phrase. Eliminate B and D.

2) Idioms - The word "prospect" should be followed by the word "of." Eliminate C.

3) Modification - The phrase "so far" or "thus far" are in reference to the number of "signs" of inflation. Whichever phrase you use, it should be as close as possible to the noun that it's modifying. Answer A puts it next to "other goods"; Answer E puts it next to "signs." Eliminate A.

Final Answer: E

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by confused13 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:36 am
is the phrase "there are" also an elimination point? Shouldn't there refer to an place ? We clearly never refer to a physical place?
Experts?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:01 am
confused13 wrote:is the phrase "there are" also an elimination point? Shouldn't there refer to an place ? We clearly never refer to a physical place?
Experts?
there are does not have to refer to a physical place.
SC11 in the OG12: There are several ways to build solid walls using just mud or clay.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3