560 to 710... but with low quant

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

560 to 710... but with low quant

by kr13 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:05 pm
Hi everyone,

I'm thrilled that I just earned a 710 on the GMAT! This is higher than any of my practice tests (some of which were as low as 590). I studied for 5 months, so it feels like a huge relief.

However, I'm looking for advice regarding my score. I earned a 42 on Quant (54th percentile) and a 45 on Verbal (99th percentile) for an overall score of 710 (92nd percentile). I got a (disappointing) 3 on IR and haven't received my essay score back yet.

I took the GMAT a year ago and got a 560, with a Quant score of 32 (30th percentile) and Verbal score of 35 (74th percentile). I got a 6 on the essay and a 5 on IR.

As you can probably tell, math/quant in general is not my strong suit. My GPA from a top university is around 3.1, with a low grade in a statistics course.

I work in a very well-known and prestigious workplace that is not at all related to business.

I'm interested in applying to top schools but am not only limiting my choices to these schools. I'm curious to learn of folks' opinions on whether it's worth retaking the test. To be honest, I'm not at all confident that I could score a 710 again.

Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:18 pm
Hi kr13,

With a 710, you have a definite shot at any US Business School that you apply to, so there's no reason to be concerned about that score. While a Q42 isn't going to make any B-school "excited", it likely won't keep you out of any programs either (barring certain Finance programs). Since you're ultimately asking admissions questions, you might be better served posting this question in the Admissions Sub-Forum (on this Site); the Experts there should be able to offer some insights.

Remember that the application process involves many "pieces" and the GMAT is just one of them. Retaking the GMAT is likely to be unnecessary. You'll be better served spending your time working on the other aspects of your application(s).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Jgriffinrn » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:45 pm
I met with a top B school yesterday for my admission interview. I showed up with a crap quant score and high verbal.
I was told in my interview- that the quant score was a predictor of how you'd perform in statistics and other rigorous graduate math courses.. As long as it was above the 40th percentile- it demonstrated one could pass those courses.
However- the director made a point to state that the verbal score is the strongest predictor of overall success in the program and in long term business success- so I'd say- don't take it again... Granted your target school has the same mindset.

Best of luck !!!