Psychiatrist here!

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Psychiatrist here!

by Ubiquitous » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:36 am
I'm a Psychiatrist in training nearing the end of my residency and planning to apply to B schools after taking my GMAT next year.

I'll be 28 next year.
4 years of work ex including residency.
Was an average medical student in undergrad.
Participated in numerous charity camps throughout residency.
Have worked at all levels from being an intern to being the senior most resident.
Have taught undergrad students during my residency.
I am an outdoorsy kind of person, and have undertaken rather unusual trips in the past.
Was also the lead singer of my high school choir, having learnt indian classical vocals for 6 years.

I want to switch careers from Psychiatry to Finance, simply because I was never interested in becoming a doctor, I just became one because of parental pressure. Getting the GMAT 700+ isn't much of an issue, since I have taken many many exams with huge preparation requirements during med school and residency, and I am confident I can crack it with 3-4 months of prep.

I'd like to know how difficult it is for doctors with specialty training to make it to a top 10 b school in America. My #1 choice is Tuck School of Business.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:14 am
Hi there,

Thanks for posting/sharing. Overall a medical background can lend a unique perspective to a b-school classroom, and healthcare is a hot field currently, so there is the potential for that being a plus and working for you, and of course yes a strong GMAT would help.

Your biggest challenge in my view is that you do have to convince the admissions committees that you DO need and want this MBA, that you know what you are getting into, that you are certain of your career choices and next steps etc.

Basically, telling a top 10/20 school that you decided you want to go into finance because you never really wanted to be a doctor... will not go over very well. They do want applicants who are not going to b-school by default/because their prior option did not work out... but who have a clear reason for and need for the MBA and know what they are getting into and how they'll use the degree.

So I'd suggest spending some time really doing some soul-searching as well as research on where you see you career and next steps going. Is it truly finance? How/why? Have you done some in depth research into what working in finance will be like? Is combining your medical experience WITH the MBA/business experience an option to consider, and if so in what way?

I think your most important step is to decide what is the best option for you through research and self-analysis, and then work on crafting your story as such for your applications/essays. If you still feel unsure at this point in time, you may want to spend a year working in an area that bridges the gap between finance or business, and medicine, just a thought.

Wishing you good luck, keep us posted on your progress and your questions, and if you'd like to speak further at any point, feel free to take us up on the free 30 min consult option, https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php.
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders