Rate my Essay - GMAT KAPLAN TEST 2

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Rate my Essay - GMAT KAPLAN TEST 2

by Sarin » Sat May 31, 2014 3:54 am
Argument
"With an increasing demand for highly skilled workers, this nation will soon face a serious labor shortage. New positions in technical and professional occupations are increasing rapidly, while at the same time the total labor force is growing slowly. Moreover, the government is proposing to cut funds for aid to education in the near future."

MY AWA -

The Argument that the Nation will face a serious labor shortage seems to have various logical flaws which needs to be addressed for strengthening this argument. Statement following the conclusion which hardly provides a valid reasoning and assumption involved is also certainly flawed.

Firstly , Argument states that there is an increase in demand in highly skilled workers which is further supported with details on new positions available in technical and professional occupation. Slow Growing Total Labor Force is provided as reasoning however this is based on an assumption that , Slow total labor force represent correctly the trend of skilled labor also. What if the skilled labor force is growing rapidly and overall slow growing trend is influenced by negative growth in unskilled workers.

Secondly , Government proposal to cut funds to education need not means cut in all sectors of education. Government may decide to retain or increase its funds for Occupation Training as per demands of labor Market. Moreover , Present Education funds may be more than enough for Meeting demands of Labor Market.

Thirdly , Argument will Fail to stand its ground , if Nation is able to Attract Skilled Workers from Other Nations to cater to its needs.

This Argument can be substantiated if More details were available on Total Labor Force and individual category wise growth Trend and similar data in terms of Government Funds.Numerical analysis would provide clearer picture rather than subjective comparison of Growth in terms of Slow Growth and Rapid Increase.

Thus , Argument in its present forms fails to Provide a Sound Argument and needs to be strengthened with Additional Details as discussed above.