710 GMAT.. Can I stll target top 10? Evaluate plz

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi, all.

I've taken GMAT for 4 times, and it looks like 710(Q50, V35) is the best I can get.
Now, I pretty much think that I'm done with GMAT and would like to focus on other preparations.

Can you please evaluate my chances of getting into top 10 schools?
I'm targetting Haas, Anderson, Sloan, Wharton, Ross, Kellogg.

Personal : 28 yrs old, Male, Asian

Undergrad : Louisiana State Univ. Acct major, 1 year accelerated graduation w/ full scholarship (3.6/4.0)

W/E :
1. English Instructor for 2 years in Korea - Taught and managed about 100 students, launched new online education programs, made around $100K/year (I've learned how to interact w/ people and to communicate effectively, I took this job right after college b/c I needed to support my family ASAP, and this job was the perfect option for me at that time.)

2. Semiconductor Industry - Corporate Development for 4 years - Launched 2 new biz targetting market size of $10B total (Started seeing actual sales arise, made a few collaborations & consortiums, and performed fve in-house consulting PJTs w/ top MBAers.

Extracurricular : Founded 2 volunteer groups focused on educating children at local orphanage.(spending weekends on it)
Discharged of Air Force as a Staff Sergent (2 years of service)

Letter of Recommendation : Expect pretty good ones from recommender. One of the recommender, my part-leader, is a Ross alumni.

Goal : Still weighing whether to focus on consulting / corp. development in IT industry such as Google, Intel, Amazon, and Facebook.

Do I stand a chance to those targetting schools? It seems that 710 is a bit risky score to apply to those schools.

Can you provide any feedback?

Thank you in advance for your precious advice.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Melissa@Fortuna » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:25 am
You've got a great profile for those schools and amazing gmat score! 710 is terrific so well done. Though what percentiles did you get on the quant and verbal parts?
-Melissa and the Fortuna Admissions Team

Melissa Jones | Fortuna Admissions - a dream team of former Admissions Directors from the world's top business schools

Interested in a free 30-minute admissions consultation? Sign up on our website https://www.fortunadmissions.com

by mygman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:23 pm
Thanks for the feedback. By the way my quant 50 is at 90th percentile and verbal at 74rh percentile. Overall 710 at 92nd percentile. What should be my dream/target/safe schools?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by MBA.Master » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:32 am
Good luck :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:26 am
mygman wrote:Hi, all.

I've taken GMAT for 4 times, and it looks like 710(Q50, V35) is the best I can get.
Now, I pretty much think that I'm done with GMAT and would like to focus on other preparations.

Undergrad : Louisiana State Univ. Acct major, 1 year accelerated graduation w/ full scholarship (3.6/4.0)

W/E :
1. English Instructor for 2 years in Korea - Taught and managed about 100 students, launched new online education programs, made around $100K/year (I've learned how to interact w/ people and to communicate effectively, I took this job right after college b/c I needed to support my family ASAP, and this job was the perfect option for me at that time.)

2. Semiconductor Industry - Corporate Development for 4 years - Launched 2 new biz targetting market size of $10B total (Started seeing actual sales arise, made a few collaborations & consortiums, and performed fve in-house consulting PJTs w/ top MBAers.

Extracurricular : Founded 2 volunteer groups focused on educating children at local orphanage.(spending weekends on it)

Letter of Recommendation : Expect pretty good ones from recommender. One of the recommender, my part-leader, is a Ross alumni.

Goal : Still weighing whether to focus on consulting / corp. development in IT industry such as Google, Intel, Amazon, and Facebook.

Do I stand a chance to those targetting schools? It seems that 710 is a bit risky score to apply to those schools.

Hey there dude,
I'd say if you have already taken the GMAT four time, forget about retaking the GMAT again. A 710 is an excellent score.

My big question is regarding your work experience - Who do you work for? What exactly do you do? Do you lead people? what were your greatest achievements?

I feel like you have a nice profile, but a lot will be riding on the strength of your WE,and I am just lacking the necessary detail. Likely yo will be able to stick to top 20 schools. But the question is: top 20 or Top 10? Top 10 or Top 5? :)

And to answer that, I need a biiiiit more detail from you,
Best,
JF
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

by mygman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:12 pm
Jon@Admissionado wrote:
mygman wrote:Hi, all.

W/E :

Hey there dude,
I'd say if you have already taken the GMAT four time, forget about retaking the GMAT again. A 710 is an excellent score.

My big question is regarding your work experience - Who do you work for? What exactly do you do? Do you lead people? what were your greatest achievements?

I feel like you have a nice profile, but a lot will be riding on the strength of your WE,and I am just lacking the necessary detail. Likely yo will be able to stick to top 20 schools. But the question is: top 20 or Top 10? Top 10 or Top 5? :)

And to answer that, I need a biiiiit more detail from you,
Best,
JF

Hi JF,
Thanks for the reply. I will be listing my W/E in more details.

I work at #2 Semiconductor Company next to Intel. (So you would know which company)
I'm basically responsible for external partnerships (Joint development, licensing, consortiums), internal analysis project (corp. development, investment & new biz development) and in-house consulting with Top MBAers.

So far, I've assisted making about 7 Joint develpment and 2 consortiums (I proposed to establish them to further increase our influence on eco-system). For Corporate development roles, I participated in investing around $20M in three Silicon Valley startups, analyzed M&A opportunities and implications of 4 companies (even though C-level decided not to M&A them), launched 2 new biz targeting market size of $10B (One of the most significant accomplishment. One new biz sales started to rise and a whole team was set up to support this biz. Other biz proposal is a long term, so the sales won't happen for about 3 years from now). I've also hosted 5 in-house consulting projects as a client manager. I've worked with top MBAers in these projects. For two in-house consulting projects, I was deeply involved in analysis and leading the project.

Since I work in rigid Asian culture company, I, as an associate, am not in an official position to lead 10 to 20 people. However, I've initated some of the projects and essentially led higher rank colleagues.
So for the leadership role, I think it depends on how I describe it in the essay.

Is the W/E description enough for you to shed light on me?
Do you think I have a strong profile for top 10 schools?
What areas can I improve to increase my chance of getting admitted to those schools?

Sincerely,
Last edited by mygman on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by mygman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:13 pm
BTW, Thanks everyone for giving me valuable advices!