780 (Q51, V46, IR 8) in 2.5 months

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

780 (Q51, V46, IR 8) in 2.5 months

by Kendrick » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 am
Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience with the GMAT since this forum helped me tremendously throughout the study process.

Background
I'm a college senior studying Computer Engineering and Finance at an top 40 private university in the US. I've accepted a full time offer to go into investment banking for 2 years and hope to attend business school afterward. Long term, I'm interested in starting several ventures in the tech sector.

Resources Used
- MGMAT Books and Practice CATs
- OG 13, OG Quant, OG Verbal
- GMAT Prep CATs (bought 2 extra exams as well)
- GMAT Club Forum Question Bank
- Veritas Prep Free Question Bank
- BTG Forums

Practice CAT Scores
GMATPrep 1: 710 (Cold)
MGMAT 1: 700 (4-5 days of study)
MGMAT 2: 710 (2 weeks of study)
GMATPrep 1: 750 (Retake, 1 month of study)
MGMAT 3: 740 (1.5 months of study)
GMATPrep 2: 770 (2 weeks before exam)
GMATPrep 3: 760 (1 week before exam)
GMATPrep 4: 760 (1 week before exam)
MGMAT 4: 730 (2 days before exam)

How I Prepared
I took a couple of practice tests initially with close to no study to get a feel of where I was. I scored in the low 700s and was doing well on quant (47+) and relatively worse on verbal (37-38). After taking and reviewing my first couple of tests, I intensely analyzed the MGMAT Assessment Reports to see where my weaknesses lied. I found that I was very weak on Sentence Correction, and moderately weak on Geometry, Probability/Combinatorics, and Data Sufficiency problems. After this, I spent 3 weeks going through the Manhattan books on these topics, and drilling all of these weak points with difficult problem sets, all the while practicing my stronger sections as well.

Once I was confident in my skills, I focused on test-taking. In the few weeks leading up to my exam, I tried to take 1-2 practice tests per week. After each test, I'd spend almost as much time reviewing the test as I did taking it. I'd reassess every problem and ensure that I could figure out the proper approach within seconds of reading it. I'd redo problems I had trouble with 2-3 times before moving on. In between tests, I reassessed my weaknesses and drilled with very difficult problem sets (GMAT Club forums are great for this!) to target them. Leading up to the exam, I was scoring in the range I wanted with GMATPrep tests (760+).

Test Day
My test day experience was great. I was mentally prepared, got a full night of sleep, and did some medium-difficulty problems in the morning to warm up my mind. I brought a bottle of Gatorade and a Clif Bar to the test center so I could keep my energy levels high throughout the test. Each test section went very smoothly, and I was lucky to not have faced a single problem for which I struggled. Toward the end of the test, I got paranoid because of how easy it was relative to my study experience and worried that I was missing something. However, it became clear once I saw my score report that everything went as planned.

Miscellaneous Tips
- This is a skills based test. As such, take lots of practice tests and do your best to simulate an actual test-taking scenario.
- Self-awareness is key to success. Find out your weaknesses in as specific a manner as possible, and then vehemently target them.
- If you want to score in the 99th percentile, prepare with as difficult problems as you can find. GMAT Club forums were great for this (they have a full list of extremely tough DS and PS problems.
- When doing problem sets, don't just do 20 problems consecutively and then check your answers. Do 2-3 at a time and review your performance in between. This way, you can easily remember your mental approach and have context for each problem. If you do long sets and then check answers, you may not remember if you struggled or guessed on one of the problems you got correct.

I hope this is helpful! Best of luck to all.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

by dtse86 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:16 am
Great tips!

Any suggestions for improving IR performance? On the practice exams I have been struggling with time issues and have been scoring low as a result. It does a number on my confidence going into the Quant section.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:08 pm
Hi dtse86,

The various IR questions that you'll face on the GMAT are based on much of the same thinking and logic that you'll use on CR questions. While you'll occasionally do some math in this section, most of the prompts are about connecting ideas and pattern matching. Pacing problems are common in the IR section, so you have to be comfortable with letting go of questions that are too layered or confusing. Since most Business Schools have publicly stated that they don't factor an applicant's IR score into the evaluation process, the best way to approach the IR section is to do your reasonable best, but not get bogged down by any particular prompt.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:02 am
Great work, Kendrick! Also, your tips are bang on.

Cheers,
Brent

Kendrick wrote: Miscellaneous Tips
- This is a skills based test. As such, take lots of practice tests and do your best to simulate an actual test-taking scenario.
- Self-awareness is key to success. Find out your weaknesses in as specific a manner as possible, and then vehemently target them.
- If you want to score in the 99th percentile, prepare with as difficult problems as you can find. GMAT Club forums were great for this (they have a full list of extremely tough DS and PS problems.
- When doing problem sets, don't just do 20 problems consecutively and then check your answers. Do 2-3 at a time and review your performance in between. This way, you can easily remember your mental approach and have context for each problem. If you do long sets and then check answers, you may not remember if you struggled or guessed on one of the problems you got correct.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Kendrick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:36 am
dtse86 wrote:Great tips!

Any suggestions for improving IR performance? On the practice exams I have been struggling with time issues and have been scoring low as a result. It does a number on my confidence going into the Quant section.
I honestly spent close to 0 time preparing for IR outside of my practice exams and review. However, as mentioned above, IR combines elements of verbal and quant - meaning that effective prep for the other two sections will help you here. Honestly though, an IR score is not very important for admissions, so the key change to make here is psychological. Don't let a poor IR performance pull down your confidence going into the quant section. That can ruin an entire test.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:41 pm
Kendrick wrote:
Do 2-3 at a time and review your performance in between. This way, you can easily remember your mental approach and have context for each problem. If you do long sets and then check answers, you may not remember if you struggled or guessed on one of the problems you got correct.

I hope this is helpful! Best of luck to all.
Important piece of advice, maybe we can stretch it to 5 problems, but that's the maximum.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by spetznaz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:04 am
Congrats for such an awesome score ... your tips were bang on !