Should I take this new job?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Should I take this new job?

by bb11 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:02 pm
GMAT: 730, 48 Quant (76th%) and 42 Verbal (96th%)
3.51 GPA, B.A. in Psychology from a mid-tier UC (Davis/San Diego/Santa Barbara/Irvine group).

1.5 years working in entry-level sales support at Intel in the Bay Area. Worked hard to transition into a marketing role or get promoted, but couldn't make anything happen until last week. Had a meeting with the GM of my group and he has moved me into a Channel Demand Marketing analyst role.

At the same time I had been looking at other companies. I've been interviewing to be a marketing associate with this small digital marketing agency with offices in the Bay Area and Chicago. Its been a long time dream of mine to get out of the Bay Area (only ever left for school) and this company is willing to let me move to the Chicago office. This would be a huge quality of life boost for me, but I'd be transitioning to a much smaller, less well known company than Intel. I'd lose some of the continuity, be taking a risk in working for a company I don't know too much about (although it has been recommended to me by a couple people), and be starting day 1 at entry-level again (to be fair, my current position is junior level). I might have the potential to make more of an impact due to the limited size of the agency.

The money between the two positions is about the same, both are in my desired field of marketing, and I find both exciting. The differences are in company brand name, continuity in work experience, and working for an agency versus industry. My heart really wants to take the agency job to get out of the Bay Area. I'm somewhat willing to stick it out in my current spot if I could apply to B-School this fall and have a realistic shot at a top 15 school. Does my profile merit such consideration? If I have to wait until fall 2016 to apply, that means minimum 2.5 years here by matriculation time, and I feel that's a long enough period that I'd be better off just moving to Chicago and seeing what comes of it. Is taking this new job actually going to hurt my shot at a top MBA?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:36 am
Hey there mate,

It seems you're in a difficult but good position. It's a natural trade-off you're facing. Big name but a potential limitation on impact versus a smaller company where you can wear more hats and do more things.

But to get to the right answer, you need to ask the right question. And that question isn't, "will this hurt my chances at an MBA.". The question you should be asking is, "what's right for ME? Where will I develop?" Because if you can answer that question, then the story you tell an adcom will not only be logical, but stronger too.

And keep in mind what you want personally too. If one of your goals has been to get out of the Bay Area then go ahead and do that. You appear to have a strong opportunity lined up so it's not as if you're moving just for the sake of it.

As for applying this fall, you're a little on the low side in terms of years of experience. You have a great GMAT and a strong GPA but if your position is as junior as you're saying, then you could probably use a little more time to build up that profile. If you get the rest of your profile built up (and marketing agencies can be a great way to do that), then you should be in contention for the tier of schools you're interested in.

Let me know if you have any questions or want to talk this through!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:22 am
I think you probably would benefit from a little more experience. You definitely can get in with only 2.5 years, but your story has to be rock solid. As far as the move, that is really up to you (big life decision). I will say that smaller companies give you a shot at more responsibility more quickly, something bschools love.

Good luck!
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review