Books for Quant

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Books for Quant

by rohitgmat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:12 pm
Hi Folks,

My GMAT is scheduled on 9th may 2014 and I am pretty much comfortable with the quant, but I want to make sure I get a much better score, I am following two books for quant:

1) Manhattan strategy guide
2) OG 13

Which other book should I use to reach to a high quant score.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:37 pm
Hi rohitgmat,

What have your scores been on your practice CATs (including your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? And what is your score goal?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by rohitgmat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:27 pm
Hi Rich,

I have not yet attempted any practice CATs, My another question is that only. Where to take the practice tests, mba.com and gmatprep software are enough or should I go with any other tests also. My exam is scheduled on 9th may 2014 and my target score is 730-740. Please suggest.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:19 pm
Hi rohitgmat,

Your May 9th Test Date is only 6 weeks away, which doesn't give you a lot of time to study. You should take a full-length practice CAT (download the 2 free CATs from www.mba.com and take one, in its ENTIRETY). That baseline score will let us know how much work you have to do.

With your score goal, I would normally advise a 3 month study plan, so you might consider adjusting your timeline a bit. You should post back here once you have a practice CAT score. We can plan from there.

Rich

by rohitgmat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:51 am
Rich,

Thanks for the wonderful guidance, Should i consider rescheduling the test date or go with the first attempt and retake the test if i do not know achieve my target score. I have been studying for GMAT from past one month and my Quant is almost at the end with Manhattan strategy and OG13 quant complete. I am talking of only quant. Not much done on the verbal side. What you would suggest.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:04 am
Hi rohitgmat,

We need to know what your current skill level is before we can determine if rescheduling your Test is necessary. I think that you'll probably need to push back your Test Date, but we need information. Take that practice CAT (even though you have not studied Verbal yet) and let's see how you score.

Rich

by rohitgmat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:13 pm
Rich,

i will be taking the first practice test on coming saturday. Can you suggest what all things should i keep in mind while taking the test which will help me analyze my performance.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:18 pm
Hi rohitgmat,

Rather than over-load you with information, you should take your practice CAT first, then post back here with your results. I'll be happy to offer some review suggestions (and I'm sure that other experts will chime in too) once you've completed the exam.

Rich

by rohitgmat » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:23 am
Rich,

I took my prep exam today and I am disappointed with the score that I got:
Scaled Scores Percentile
IR 4 37
QUANT 43 61
Verbal 17 13
TOTAL 500 33

IR 3 incorrect, Quant 15 incorrect , verbal 21 incorrect. Please help me modifying my study plan and the strategy for the future. At this point I can say that I need lot of practice in verbal .

Any help from other experts in also appreciated.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:16 pm
Hi rohitgmat,

Most Test Takers are disappointed by their first FEW CATs, but since you didn't study the Verbal yet, you shouldn't have had too high of an expectation.

Your Quant score is pretty good; as you review this section, take note of WHY you got questions wrong. Were certain questions too hard? Did you not know a particular rule or formula? Or did you make a silly mistake?

Since you haven't done any Verbal prep yet, you should plan to study Verbal for the next 1-2 weeks, then come back and review the Verbal section with your newly developed skills. During that time, you should be sure to get in some Quant practice too. Once you've gotten a better grasp of the various Verbal concepts, you should then plan to take another CAT.

With a 730+ goal, you'll probably need to push your Test Date back. A 230 point improvement in 6 weeks is not common.

Rich

by rohitgmat » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:12 pm
Rich,

I have purchased 6 CATs from manhattan and would like to take those at regular intervals of time. I have started the SC and will be done in 3-4 days and then RC and critical reasoning. So I think it will take around 15 days for verbal. How you would suggest taking the practice CATs, every week or once in 2 weeks.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:12 pm
Hi rohitgmat,

After you get through your planned Verbal studies, you should take 1 practice CAT to measure your progress. Under typical circumstances, I recommend that Test Takers plan for 1 CAT every 1-2 weeks.

Since a CAT is a 'measuring device' (it does NOT make you a better Test Taker, it points out your weaknesses), you should not plan to rush through all of your CATs. People who take too many CATs in too short a period of time are far more likely to end up 'wasting' their CATs (and end up having to purchase additional CATs later).

That having been said, we'll have a much better idea of your ability level once you've gotten through the Verbal and taken your next CAT. That score will help to determine if you should stick to your May Test Date or not.

Rich

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by unstoppablegmat » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:58 am
Hi,
I used Nova's GMAT Math Prep Course Book Review. It is a comprehensive book with a lot of questions to practice.