Silly, Silly me - Math Headache

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Silly, Silly me - Math Headache

by LaraKK » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 pm
Helllo Everyone! just yesterday I had my GMAT test. and you are now probably wondering: why is she wrinting here if she took the test yesterday? well folks, the thruth is that I failed miserably at everything I did in that test.
my goal (even if I have to admit, I have not put 100% of my efforts in the preparation. Silly, Silly me) is to take 650+, the higher the better, of course.
Yesterday, after 2 weeks of semi-intense preparation, I took 620, 54 percentile in math. Well, I surely was disappointed - I relied on divine intervention for all the exams I had previously taken, and it almost always worked.
ALMOST, because if failed (or, I failed) yesterday, and my biggest problem was surely the quantitative part. I currently am an university student, and I studied maths up until last year, but the more I studied for the GMAT, the more I realized what I knew was not enough - I need to know more tricks, ways of reasonings, and especially, I really need to focus on time - a snail would laugh at my face.
Yesterday I did not finish all the questions in the time allowed (only for the quant part).

To prepare for this first test I bought "Fundation of GMAT Math" well, that is one unneccessary book. I am sure it is great for someone who never had math in his entire life - it surely does focus on basics. but that is it, and I needed way more than that.

therefore, I would like to know which other books would be useful to buy in order to PUNCH that quantitative part on the face the next time I am taking the test - I am already scheduling an appointment.

- Have a good day ahead!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:24 pm
Hi LaraKK,

What were your Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal sections on your GMAT? You're actually not far from a 650+, but it doesn't appear that you took enough time to develop your skills before you took the test.

Did you finish the actual Quant section or did you leave some questions unanswered? If you didn't complete the section, then how many questions did you leave unanswered?

The good news is that you can absolutely take the GMAT again in 31 days and hit your goal, you'll just need to really define your specific weaknesses and improve in those areas.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]