help

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

help

by Blue_Skies » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:41 pm
The school board ruling mandating that physically handicapped students be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assured all children who have a reading problem of special aid.

(A) be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assured all children who have a reading problem
(B) should be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures all children that have a reading problem
(C) are placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures those children who are having reading problems
(D) be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assured children with reading problems
(E) should be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also has assured all those children with a reading problem

Stuck between A and D please comment.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Lifetron » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:23 pm
IMO D

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:38 am
D

option A says "children who have a reading problem". How can children (plural) have a (singular) problem?
grammatical error :)
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! (Rocky VI)

Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

by sana.noor » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:04 am
D it should be
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:39 pm
i received a private message about this thread.

there are no firm grounds for choosing between A and D here; both sentences are fine. it's a flawed problem.
what's the source?

--
Gaurav 2013-fall wrote:D

option A says "children who have a reading problem". How can children (plural) have a (singular) problem?
grammatical error :)
nope, it's not that clear-cut.

there are plenty of constructions like this one (i.e., sentences discussing general phenomena) in which the singular can be used. for instance, you'd be more likely to see Human beings have a four-chambered heart than to see Human beings have four-chambered hearts, because the former is less ambiguous (i.e., it communicates more clearly that each human being only has one heart). but both, really, would be fine.

if it's official evidence you want, then look no further than problem #10 in the OG12 sentence correction section. that sentence states that carnivorous mammals (plural) have a heat-exchange network (singular), and, surprise!, it's not incorrect.

--

if you're looking for an unnecessarily in-depth treatment, here's a little more: (NOTE: it's highly unlikely that anything below this line will ever be relevant on the gmat exam)

if your sentence is talking about specific instances/things/animals/people/etc., THEN you're going to want to match the singular and plural a little more rigorously.
for instance, All three of my children want to be a professional athlete is wrong, unless Mark wants to be the left hand, Leila wants to be the right leg, etc. in that sentence you'd need ... to be professional athletes.
but, when you're talking about general phenomena (as described above), things are a little more flexible.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron