Likely score

Ask your questions about Kaplan products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Likely score

by goraj » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 pm
I have been getting around 550 in the Kaplan practice test. Based on your expeience can you tell me what would that translate to in a real GMAT exam?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

GMAT scores

by Jen Kedro » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:42 pm
Hi goraj,

Our practice tests are generally designed to be as accurate as possible, so you'd likely expect to score within a similiar range on test day if you took the exam now.

Our algorithm and scoring are continually assessed and updated as needed, particularly for our enrolled students taking exams online (note: it's tougher to update a CDROM as frequently, so may depend on what you are using and when it was created). Are you a current student in one of our courses? How much more studying are you planning on doing?

It's also relatively common for students to increase from their practice tests to the real thing, for several reasons including 1) they often do additional studying and learning from their mistakes in between the practice tests and the real thing, and 2) some students find that they are much more focused on the real test than when taking a practice exam at home, for example.

So my best advice to you would be to really review the practice tests you've done thus far, go over all of the questions and explanations, and learn from your mistakes. Assess your strengths and weaknesses and brush up on the areas that you are weak in, that also show up frequently on the tests. Our enrolled students are able to analyze their performance with Smart Reports, so if you are taking a course with us, check that out to see what you should focus on. Otherwise try to keep in mind the frequency of different question types and topics. Then consider taking another test or two, depending on how much time you have, and focus on your time management as well.

Hope that helps! Good luck on test day.
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member