Is a Richard Ivey MBA worth it??

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Is a Richard Ivey MBA worth it??

by confused123 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:54 am
Hi All,
Really need your help here please.

I gave my GMAT few months ago and got a score of 730. Work ex 5+ yrs. I was on an onsite trip and studied at client site while working and somehow just got it over with.
Downside, I had done absolutely no research on any of the colleges. I applied to CBS in their final round for the 1 yr program and got rejected. I applied to Richard Ivey school of business as a back-up and just got an acceptance call yesterday.
Now my question: is a Richard Ivey MBA really worth it? the tuition is as high as some of the best US B-schools but judging from the US economy a Canadian MBA just might be worth it, wouldn't it? I really dont know. And if yes, then would a Richard Ivey MBA be considered good considering my profile above.

I need to decide soon. Knowledgeable replies would be most appreciated.

Looking forward to hearing from someone as I really dont know if this would be a good bet or not.

Thanks!
Rgds,
Confused

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vdubbin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 am
I think it is. That really depends on what you want to do after and if you want to work in Canada. Are you in finance and would like to continue in that stream? Then yes. What I've learned from speaking to contacts on Bay st. is that there are a lot of Ivey grads there. They do well in IB and consulting.

I just did my GMAT (720) and am just finishing my application to Ivey. The verdict seems to be that if you are doing an MBA, you want the BRAND behind it - and Ivey is one of the top 3 in Canada.

Can I ask you for some advice on your application essays, having been admitted in the program you did something right. Feel free to PM me if you want some more information for Canadian schools as well.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:650

by tisrar02 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:55 pm
Living in Canada my entire life, my take is Richard Ivey is probably the best MBA in regards to ROI in Canada if that's where you want to do your MBA. Rotman (University of Toronto) is not too far behind either but thats just my opinion from reading articles.
Dedication is what leads to success...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:710

by benjiboo » Thu May 09, 2013 10:06 am
Apply to all the top 10 schools in the USA first.