admission essays

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

admission essays

by pinktoadette » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:48 am
does anyone know if the admission essays changes every year?

i am applying for yr 2010-2012ish, I want to prepare for my essays now...

targeted schools: columbia, chicago, nyu, cornell, yale

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:08 pm
In my experience, most schools have similar essays from year to year. Every now and then, they will change/modify a question. Also, you can expect most schools to have the classic MBA essays question (Why MBA?) in some shape or form.

But more importantly, why do you want to start working on your essays now? So much of your candidacy can/will change in one year! You may have new interests, experiences, insights that could impact your essays next year. Why not wait until next year.

Instead, focus on variables you can control. Have you take the GMAT? Are you happy with your score? Do you have quality ECs? How is your college GPA? If lower than average, have you considered taking a stats/calculus/accounting course at a local college to help offset any concerns?

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by pinktoadette » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:26 am
Thank you Nikhil for replying back and the advice.

I just want to start now, so I can get a good idea what I want to write. Usually after writing several essays, i find the last few are far better and more creative.

My gpa is 3.4, graduated with full scholarship/hon in finance, haven't taken gmat yet. I am planning to take it when my cfa level 2 result comes out end of august.

work experience wise: my full time relates to fixed income. the job isn't a glamarous job- a 10 year old can probably do it. So I am improving the work experience part by doing volunteer work related to finance. I also have a non profit org dedicated to kids and finance, and another company oversea related to tech investments.

do you think I need more than what I have now? any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

other info, female, 23, asian, nyc

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:49 am
Hi Pink,

Sounds like you have good credentials. I would really focus on the GMAT. Scoring in the high-600s or higher will put you in good standing to attend many top 25 programs.

Regarding your essays, I guess working on them a year in advance is a personal preference. You might also want to reviewing other successful MBA admissions essays, to get a sense of what AdCom is looking for. Check out an MBA Admissions book (Montauk or Bouknight), which will have evaluations of admissions essays.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by pinktoadette » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:16 am
thank you, I will check it out.