Whole Process

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Whole Process

by mtvmty » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:14 am
I am going through much of soul-searching these days to know what I want and why? And I feel good when I get the answer. I went through a few blogs(in between my hectic schedule at work place) that describe it a journey towards b-schools, I found it interesting.
Even I have divided my journey in these phases:

1.Intro-spection
2.Schools Inspection
3.GMAT & TOEFL
4.Application Process
5.Interviews

Intro-spection will help in school inspection and that will give me enough boost to prepare for GMAT.
I want to take it one by one and to give my best in each phase.

Any suggestions?
Practice is all I need.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: Whole Process

by Sadowski » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:10 am
mtvmty,

Your soul-searching will pay off for you in the end! Just to give you an idea of how I proceeded, mine was a little different from yours:

1) GMAT
2) School inspection & informational interviews
3) Soul searching + application process = Extremely time consuming!
4) Acceptance + more soul searching = Confirmation

Essentially, I was about 95% positive I was going to matriculate into an MBA program, but it was dependent first on my GMAT score. I knew if I didn't score well enough it wouldn't matter. Worked my a$$ off to score a 730.

After that, I was 98% sure I would do it, but first I had to actually get in. That's when I started really looking into myself to understand why I wanted it. I still basically kept my options open though, because if I didn't get in to either of the 2 schools I applied to, then it wouldn't matter anyways, right?

After being accepted at both schools, I continued to soul search because now there wasn't anything in my way. I had the acceptances--now, did I really, REALLY want it? OF COURSE! I learned a lot about myself through the whole process and I'm now 125% confident that this is the right path for me. It is a journey!

I guess my point is that everyone's process is different, but soul searching, in my estimation, is the absolute most important aspect of the entire process. So keep thinking about it and digging deeper into yourself and you will be very happy with where it takes you.

Best of luck,
S
mtvmty wrote:I am going through much of soul-searching these days to know what I want and why? And I feel good when I get the answer. I went through a few blogs(in between my hectic schedule at work place) that describe it a journey towards b-schools, I found it interesting.
Even I have divided my journey in these phases:

1.Intro-spection
2.Schools Inspection
3.GMAT & TOEFL
4.Application Process
5.Interviews

Intro-spection will help in school inspection and that will give me enough boost to prepare for GMAT.
I want to take it one by one and to give my best in each phase.

Any suggestions?
Visit my blog:
<a href="https://www.squidoo.com/topmbaprograms" target="_blank">How To Get Into a Top MBA Program</a>

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_Tatiana » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:25 am
Hi Mtvmty,

I agree that soul searching is the most important part. Your essays will be most compelling if you have at least a general sense of what you want to do and why school X is the best place to do it. I worked with an alum to help me revise my essays, and even though I had done quite a bit of soul searching, he kept asking deeper and deeper probing questions. I highly recommend finding someone that can help you in your soul searching process, be it an alum (these are easy to meet at the prospective student meet an greets) or a respected colleague.

It's essential that your goals and the strengths of the school match up. If you want to do finance, apply to the best finance schools that your GMAT score will allow. Tell the committee your goals, and why you can only achieve them there.

Best wishes,

Tatiana
Tatiana Becker | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mtvmty » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:19 am
thanks for your input,
I will keep in mind the suggestions provided.[/quote]
Practice is all I need.