When should I register for the test

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I have studied for the GMAT for one month and I hope to complete my studies during the next two months. I have read that I should wait to register for the test when I am ready to take the test. I have also read that I should schedule the test a.s.a.p. so that I'll have a target to shoot for.

I'm on the fence. :( I can set goals, but at times, I may get off track. Life, work, and other problems can surface to derail the best of plans. So, I'm a bit hesitant to schedule the exam two months in advance, in case my plans change.

On the other hand, if I have a firm date, I will try to do everything to make sure I'm prepared. Also, I can ensure that the date I'd like to take the test is available - a Saturday works best for me.

Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

--Derrick

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: When should I register for the test

by beatthegmat » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:19 pm
[email protected] wrote:I have studied for the GMAT for one month and I hope to complete my studies during the next two months. I have read that I should wait to register for the test when I am ready to take the test. I have also read that I should schedule the test a.s.a.p. so that I'll have a target to shoot for.

I'm on the fence. :( I can set goals, but at times, I may get off track. Life, work, and other problems can surface to derail the best of plans. So, I'm a bit hesitant to schedule the exam two months in advance, in case my plans change.

On the other hand, if I have a firm date, I will try to do everything to make sure I'm prepared. Also, I can ensure that the date I'd like to take the test is available - a Saturday works best for me.

Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

--Derrick
Hi Derrick:

My advice is to set a date. The problem with studying until you feel like you are fully prepared is that it is too easy to keep delaying your test date. Setting is a date is helpful because it keeps you more accountable to your studies.

Here's another important thing to consider. I think that 3 months is more-or-less the right amount of time a person should devote to GMAT study. However, once you get to the point where you've been studying for more than 3 months, you start to run into the trouble of forgetting what you had learned early on in your prep. This might sound kind of silly, but it was a real concern of mine during my preparation--toward the end, I definitely found that some of the concepts I had studies in my first few weeks were a little hazy to me.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Thanks

by [email protected] » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:03 pm
Eric,

I took your advice. D-Day is March, 17, 2007 :shock:

Derrick :D

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:30 pm
great
now start posting your progress here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=994

and for any specific help, feel free to open a new topic but make sure the same topic is not discussed earlier, read other threads also they all are worth a read :D