MBA with Arts/Media

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA with Arts/Media

by dr3431 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:45 pm
Does anyone know of an MBA program that specializes in the Arts and Media industry? I currently work in television production and am looking for a business program with a certain media angle. Any help would be great!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:41 pm
Hi,

I would check out the LA and california schools. UCLA has a media programme, for instance. Outside of CA, Columbia also has a media management programme.

However, depending on your long term aims (do you really see yourself doing media forever, and even if you do, do you really need a media degree?) you may also want to consider going to the best school you can go to that has a strong media club. That way you'll keep in touch with what's happening in the industry and be able to recruit for industry jobs, while also leveraging on a brand name MBA that may fit your long-term needs in other ways.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rwrangler » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:40 pm
I am also a media guy perusing an MBA. Although I am applying straight out of my undergrad I have lots of video production experience through our campus cable station, freelance projects and internships.

My top school of choice does not have a media centered MBA program (I am going for a finance concentration) but am pretty sure that there are media MBA's out there. My professor at school for instance told me that he almost entered an online MBA program based out of St. Louis that had an emphasis in media.

Don't know if that helps you much but good luck with your search.
rwrangler

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rwrangler » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:45 am
I noticed today that the University of Wisconsin-Madison has an MBA with a specialized concentration in Arts Administration. Graduates have gotten jobs ranging from theater management to television production.
rwrangler

MBA Admissions Consultant

by MBAPodcaster » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:19 pm
Have you checked out NYU Stern? They have a specialization in Entertainment, Media and Technology.

And this might be more than you want but they also have a joint degree program - MBA/MFA.

Just grabbed this from the website:

This program enables students to pursue an MBA and MFA simultaneously, exposing them to the business and creative sides of film and preparing them for producing careers in the major film studios, independent production companies, and the major television studios and networks.

And UCLA has a specialization in Media and Entertainment Management. I think if this is the route you want to go, definitely stick to industry cities like LA and NYC.

Good Luck!
Janet
MBA Podcaster