BTGMAT Comes To The Rescue!

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

BTGMAT Comes To The Rescue!

by freeatlast » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:43 am
Hi guys. I have been preparing for the Toefl test and of course this forum has been my great inspiration. Still, i'm having trouble with my listening-taking note ability, both in the Listening and Speaking section. Since i'm not a native english speaker, nor am i studying in an education that emphasizes on note taking techniques, this specific skill of mine is terrible. Recently, i've tried to stop taking notes and instead just listen, understand and visualize the conversation or lecture in order to remember it. Though it works pretty well for me, it also gives me a feeling of uncertainty and i'm afraid i can't use it effectively under the pressure of the real test. So it would be very nice if you guys can give me some advices and suggestions on how to improve my note taking skill.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:44 am
I personally do take some notes during the listening section, but will usually use arrows or abbreviations (I just make them on the spot) for stuff. I think it's much quicker this way, honestly. Here's an example. If you listen to a conversation between Harry and Sally and Sally is complaining that setting up the new sewage system has caused a great deal of disruption in the neighborhood and that people are complaining about it, you can just write down:

S: sewage sys ---> complaints

S is a nice way to avoid writing down "Sally" and you can use the arrows to indicate an effect.

Other than that, don't take too many notes! Or at least if you do, try to keep them tidy. There's nothing worse than having to sift through messy notes, you'll be confused more than anything.

Good luck!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by freeatlast » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:49 am
Really thank u Dana J. A little bit weird (and delightful) to have a reply so soon since the clock says it's 3 am ^.^

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:05 am
Hehe not where I'm at :) It's 2 p.m. here!

You should know that BTG has members from all over the world!