TOEFL ibt cancelled because of tecnical reasons

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear guys, I need your advice... Today I was supposed to have a TOEFL ibt exam, but after 3.5 hours of waiting at the test center we've been told that the exam was cancelled because of technical reasons. So we all had to go back home. I feel highly disappointed because this was the last exam this year, and I need to submit the exam results in the 2nd round, the deadline is Jan 4th. I do not know what to do... I sent a message in ETS but the answer will arrive in 3 days only. What should I say in the application to a university which asks me to submit a TOEFL score?

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:43 pm
So sorry to hear what happened! If you can get a proof of the technical difficulty and then present the situation to the admissions committee, I'm pretty sure they'll understand. Just try to do this as fast as possible to give them time to read and respond to your email.

by Milenochka » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:54 am
Thank you for reply. I called to ETS and asked whether it is possible for me to have a TOEFL ibt this year, and unfortunately got a negative answer. I won't be able to take the exam this year, and I won't be able to appy to HBS in the 2nd round because I do not have a TOEFL score... Do you think it is possible to ask the HBS admission to wave my TOEFL exam (I already have an MBA degree from the university in South Korea where the language of instruction was English), or maybe postpone it to Jan 15th (the earliest available exam day)... :(

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:03 am
Hmm... This is interesting. I think HBS may waive the TOEFL, but what you just said is a problem: if you've already done an MBA, then you may not qualify to get into HBS. I believe they have this requirement that the applicant must not have finished an MBA before applying. I think this is because they don't approve of someone getting the same type of degree twice. Not sure this is true for HBS or other American schools, you should post this question in the Ask an Admissions Consultant forum.

by khamayun71 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:46 pm
I registered for the test and after I studied hard to get good scores from my scholarship, I got an email of cancellation without permission. I was disappointed that I won't be able to get the scores for the scholarship program. I called ETS and never understand my situation. They refused to put back in the test site. I was forced to take it on another day. I hope college will accept late TOEFL scores.