TOEFL RC

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

TOEFL RC

by vineetbatra » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:04 am
Hello,

I have already taken GMAT and planning to take TOEFL. I am a little concerned about the approach for TOEFL RC, in GMAT I would typically read the entire RC and then start answering the questions; however in TOEFL I seem to have the flexibility to read the passage in part and answer the questions, this saves valuable time.

Should I follow the part reading approach or read the entire passage first before answering any question.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Vineet

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:45 pm
I tend to read the passage as a whole first and get a good sense of it. I will then re-read the parts of the passage as necessary. However, this is not a fixed rule: some might do it very differently. I guess it comes down to what you're more comfortable with, but keep in mind that TOEFL RC is much easier than GMAT RC.

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:11 pm
In addition, you have plenty of time for TOEFL RC. 20 mins per passage. You can definitely go by reading the passage first and then re-read parts of the passage when necessary while answering questions.
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vineetbatra » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:26 pm
Thanks guys, I agree, that we havs about 20 mins per RC but in total we have 14 questions also.

Besides, I wanted to know the real need to read the whole passage. My understanding is for each question the specific para is identified in the question, it is only the last question in which we need to write the summary, which in any case is covered by all the previous question.

Since you guys have already taken the test you would have a good understanding.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Vineet