College Senior @ Wharton and Lauder

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

College Senior @ Wharton and Lauder

by jelt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:58 pm
Hi all,

I've just been accepted into Wharton's Lauder dual MA/MBA programme. I'm thrilled by this, since it was the only programme I applied to. Also since I feel indebted to Amy and Stacy in particular for making me think of such good programmes in the first place, I'm posting my result here.

23/M/770/3.9 University of Chicago/0 WE

There's more on my profile at the last post of the following thread:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/it-s-getting ... t6538.html

The GMAT was the least of my worries (ironic since this is beatthegmat). Although I only had one chance at it and only spent a month preparing from start to finish, while interning/ studying full-time.

For college seniors in particular, feel free to shoot me any questions that you may have! Needless to say, why MBA and why now are crucial for us in particular. Most of all because it affects our ability to find a well-paying job post-graduation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:56 am
Congratulations! I've particularly pleased to hear about your success since I've been following your story for a while.

Way to get into the one school you applied to! Happy holidays and best of luck.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:01 pm
Congrats on admit!, jelt.
beatthegmat wrote:Congratulations! I've particularly pleased to hear about your success since I've been following your story for a while.

Way to get into the one school you applied to! Happy holidays and best of luck.

by jelt » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:20 pm
Thanks guys. Good luck on your own applications as well, and tell me if you need any help with Wharton or with essays or with anything else.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

hi

by jimmy23 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:14 am
your story is very encouraging and motivating, thanks, for boosting my moral.

by jelt » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Thank you. Good luck in your own endeavours, I feel I've had more than my fare share recently. What with the recent upturn in R1 applicants, I still managed to get admitted, which is something I feel incredulous about. Just goes to show, hope and luck are very important!

Cheers,
Jason

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Re: College Senior @ Wharton and Lauder

by smkrn » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:45 pm
jelt wrote:Hi all,

I've just been accepted into Wharton's Lauder dual MA/MBA programme. I'm thrilled by this, since it was the only programme I applied to. Also since I feel indebted to Amy and Stacy in particular for making me think of such good programmes in the first place, I'm posting my result here.

23/M/770/3.9 University of Chicago/0 WE

There's more on my profile at the last post of the following thread:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/it-s-getting ... t6538.html

The GMAT was the least of my worries (ironic since this is beatthegmat). Although I only had one chance at it and only spent a month preparing from start to finish, while interning/ studying full-time.

For college seniors in particular, feel free to shoot me any questions that you may have! Needless to say, why MBA and why now are crucial for us in particular. Most of all because it affects our ability to find a well-paying job post-graduation.
Congratulations on being accepted into such a great program. I was wondering, how do you think your application to the dual MA/MBA program affected your result compared to if you had just applied to the MBA program at Wharton? Particularly, do you think it increased, decreased, or had no effect on your chances of getting into Wharton?

by jelt » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:19 pm
I believe it had no effect whatsoever. After matriculating, this impression of mine has strengthened. The Lauder programme regularly recruits Wharton admits to try to apply for their programme as well, and since about 30% of the class are internationals and many others are also likely to speak second languages as well, you can imagine that choosing the Lauder programme doesn't give you a leg-up at all.

The Lauder application is a single application for Lauder and Wharton, which is quite unlike regular double degree programmes where you must apply, and be accepted, to two programmes separately. As such I believe that it doesn't decrease your chances either.

Finally, if you think about all highly-competitive degree programmes, the admission rate is something like 15% at the top business schools. Meaning that for every successful applicant, 5 to 6 get rejected. The odds are stacked so heavily in the schools' favour that they simply don't have to (and typically don't) care about whether you're a double-degree applicant or not.

Of course, things change once you're actually admitted and if they're fighting for a higher yield over peers like Harvard and Stanford. If you're a highly desirable candidate who is lucky enough to be pondering >1 of H,W or S, you can probably get more money out of each of them.