SC question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

SC question

by ranji » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:33 pm
369. In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.

(A) In assessing the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(B) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in assessing the problems that they face.
(C) A question that is irrelevant in assessing the problems that rural migrant workers face is whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor.
(D) In an assessment of the problems faced by rural migrant workers, the question of whether they are better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant.
(E) The question of whether the rural migrant worker is better off materially than the urban working poor is irrelevant in an assessment of the problems that they face.

OA is D
ranji

by ranji » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:46 pm
A) the 'they' in the second clause is ambigious - it can refer to problems as well as rural migrant workers. So wrong

B) they is not valid here since rural migrant worker is singular

C)
D)

E) they is not proper since rural migrant worker is singular.

I am confused between C and D...

any thoughts why C is wrong or D is right?
ranji

by jan08 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:35 pm
I am surprised that D is the answer. I also picked C coz between C and D C seems to be a better choice. D awkwardly use "rural migrant workers, the question of"...

Experts..please help!!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Danielle » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:40 am
This question has been discussed. Here is the link to the old thread, check out the explanation.
Verbal Tutor