idioms doubt

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

idioms doubt

by gmatrant » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:56 am
1.When do you use identical with / identical to? Are these both the same?
2. Is the idiom fascinated with (He is fascinated with what he is doing) right?
3. I differ with you on this or I differ from you on this. which is right?

Followed by:3 members

by Danielle » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:32 pm
1. Identical with is not right. It's identical to when comparing two things that are exactly the same.

2. "Fascinated with" is the correct idiom. Your example sentence is exactly right also.

3. It's I differ from you. But the expressions "I differ from you on this" and I "differ from you on this" are both cumbersome. The closest expression is "I beg to differ with you on this", and that is used when someone has a different opinion than someone else.

Not sure if that third answer was helpful. Please reply.
Verbal Tutor

Followed by:1 members

by gmatrant » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:47 pm
Danielle wrote:1. Identical with is not right. It's identical to when comparing two things that are exactly the same.

2. "Fascinated with" is the correct idiom. Your example sentence is exactly right also.

3. It's I differ from you. But the expressions "I differ from you on this" and I "differ from you on this" are both cumbersome. The closest expression is "I beg to differ with you on this", and that is used when someone has a different opinion than someone else.

Not sure if that third answer was helpful. Please reply.
1. Clear. 'identical to' makes it a better read.
2. How about fascinated by? Is this also an idiom. Is "fascinated with" the same as "fascinated by"?
3. So is my understanding right here? If a sentence has 'I beg to differ with you" is used its better, also right is a sentence that uses "I differ from you on this" but a sentence that uses "I differ with you on this" is always wrong.

Followed by:3 members

by Danielle » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:44 am
1. Glad I could help. :)

2. 'Fascinated by' and 'Fascinate with' mean the same thing. They can be used interchangeably.

3. Yes, that's what I'm saying. When you say "I differ from you on this", it's usually referring to a differing on a point, an issue -- it's a way to expressing contention.
Verbal Tutor