Research on B-School

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Research on B-School

by varunbhatia.81 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:01 am
Hello,

I am a new member to this forum. Recently i had taken GMAT and i got the score of 710. I have 6 years of experience and i am currently working as a project lead with IBM. But i have a low GPA in my grad school of 2.9. What kind of colleges should i target ? I will be obliged if you can provide me with the list of few B-schools which i can try for.

Regards,
Varun

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:34 am
Hi varunbhatia.81,

Welcome to the forums It's difficult to say what schools you should apply to. What are your goals after obtaining an MBA? What do you want to concentrate in? General Management, Finance, Marketing, or something else?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sanchitsharma3 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:26 am
Hi Varun

I would like to add that along with these factors I consider COUNTRY of B-SCHOOL as one of the key factors....because recently countries like UK and USA have been stricter with providing jobs to international students plus your PR if you are interested is also very tough to get....

Having said that with this score and I am assuming you are from INDIA I will advice you to take a look at NANYANG and NUS of SINGAPORE these will be economical as well as good options for jobs and pr for INDIAN student plus they are global names and are among top B-schools of the world....

I hope I am a little help for you...

With Warm Regards
Sanchit

by varunbhatia.81 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:38 pm
Thanks for your valuable replies. Yes i am from India and I am looking to do the specialization in marketing but i want to come back to the IT industry as my goal it to join the business development. NUS i have heard is pretty good and I am not very sure about the Nanyang. Also how about Asia Institute of Management. Also i will be interested in knowing the alternate destinations (i.e. apart from US,UK and south east Asia) that i can consider.

Regards,
Varun Bhatia

by sanchitsharma3 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:59 am
Dear Varun

Asia Institute of management is a DECENT b-school, I will suggest instead of it considering Hong Kong university b-school will be a better b-school option.

Alternate destinations apart from UK and USA are Canada, Switzerland and Ireland.

I like to specially mention about GSB b-school of CAPE TOWN it is a great return on investment and perhaps best value for money MBA

I hope I helped you a Little

With Warm Regards
Sanchit

by varunbhatia.81 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:33 am
Thanks for the reply. But how are the job prospects in the Switzerland and Ireland? And can you suggest me some B-Schools i can look into there?

by sanchitsharma3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:58 am
Dear Varun

Sorry was busy with Holi so didn't see your reply. As far as good schools are concerned then Switzerland has IMD one of the best B-school in the world also IED if I am not wrong, Whereas B-school University of Dublin Ireland is among top 75 B-schools in the world so the quality is there. But I don't know the job prospects in these countries but I am assuming that since these B-Schools are among the Best in the world finding a job should not be a problem at all, So I hope this helps you.

With Warm Regards
Sanchit

by varunbhatia.81 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:47 am
Thanks for the reply again. I know about the IMD but realistically speaking, chances of make the cut to that institute are very thin. So I want to apply to the colleges where i have the chance as my grad acad are little poor. So i wanted to apply in varied institutes. So far i have shortlisted nus, nanyang, hongkong univ, AIM, Mannhiem, HHL and WHU but would love to know other names too which may not be really high in rankings but do provide good ROI.

Regards,
Varun

by sanchitsharma3 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:10 am
Dear Varun

Best ROI s then GSB of university of cape town hands down, Best value for money b-school in the world I would have shortlisted it but I am younger as per their requirements, they take candidates who are 25 or older and I am only 21, so this is a great option plus York university of Canada is another one which I will recommend.

please read the BLUE CHIP B-SCHOOL thread in this forum to get ideas of good ROI.

With Warm Regards
Sanchit