School research

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

School research

by sallespadua » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 am
Dear members,

I'm applying to fall 2011 and would like to hear opinions about the MBA that would best fit with my profile, tastes and goals. Taking out my test scores on the GMAT (I don't want to base the school that would best fit for me with the score range and I won't tell my preferences, so they won't influence in your opinions). Thus, here follows a quick review of my profile:

I'm a 28 year old Electrical Engineer (GPA 2.7) with a Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering (an emphasis in aircraft systems' integration; GPA 3.3). I finished my bachelor in August 2006 and my Masters in April 2009.

My work experience, since my undergrad (2006), is in the Aerospace Business in one of the major aircraft manufacturers worldwide both with commercial and business jets markets.
To be more specific, I've been working in the last two years managing suppliers (Product's Maturity and Quality development) in both electrical and electronics systems during aircraft design and flight campaign phases.
I've done a lot of technical visits, interfering in aircraft parts' design and production process development of the company's suppliers, spread in Europe and US. One of my biggest accomplishments was a framework tool considered as industrial secret and potential patent application for the company I'm still working for.

I did engineering interns in the power plants design (in one of the major energy companies worldwide) and hospitals installations design and assembly (family business), during my undergrad for 2,5 years (I think all this time definitely interferred in my undergrad final GPA pulling it down)

My areas of interest during my MBA are focused on entrepreneurship and general management; would like to have some of venture capital envolvement whether do I have the possibility. I intend to open up my own business connected to the ones of my family's somewhere in the future when I gain confidence enough to do it, after the MBA degree.

To tell some of my personal background, I used to play soccer and got close to be a professional (I played for one the Brazilian's most popular teams); but I had a serious injury when I was 16 that avoided me from playing for 1,5 year in a row, interrupting my athlete career.
So, when I recovered, I was already 18 with the difficult choice of going to the Engineering School or the uncertainty of becoming a professional player recently recovered from a serious injury. I chose the hardest part of becoming merely another engineer in the planet and now I'm pursing an MBA! (I think I'll detail that story in one of the essays).

Nevertheless, I would like a school that I could join sports' activities as well. But it doesn't necessarily need to be soccer.

Any suggestions of the school that would fit best with me and other way around would be very welcome!

Thank you in advance!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:31 am
You would probably really fit in at Haas. They have a great teamwork and cooperative culture. Also, they have plenty of intermural sports clubs that you could join. The only thing is your gpa. I think it would be a great fit, but you are going to need to kill the GMAT. Good luck.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:58 am
"My areas of interest during my MBA are focused on entrepreneurship and general management; would like to have some of venture capital envolvement whether do I have the possibility. I intend to open up my own business connected to the ones of my family's somewhere in the future when I gain confidence enough to do it, after the MBA degree. "

I'm sorry but this SCREAMS Stanford![/u]
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sallespadua » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 am
Thank you guys! I'll ask the consultants also...