Best Schools to work in the SE USA (Urban or Rural?)

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
If I want to take a job in TN, GA or NC (specifically Atlanta, Nashville, or Charlotte) would a rural school with higher rankings (Fuqua, UNC, or Darden) be better than a school in a metro area with lower rankings (Owen, Emory, GA Tech)?

thanks.

-brent

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:39 pm
Hi Brent - thank you for your inquiry.

I don't think the urban/rural location of the school makes a difference. What's important is the school's reputation in the region and industry you want to be in, the career services office and how active and helpful it is, how committed alumni are to helping students with job searches, and of course the quality of the education you'll receive and network you'll build. Ranking is a factor, but the other characteristics I just mentioned should be more relevant to your decision than something like a ranking - which can change year over year and even across different ranking organizations in a given year.

Generally people would advise to attend the best school you can get into, but "best" may mean different things to different people depending on your industry, alumni engagement, school's reputation, etc.

Good luck!
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php