Chances of getting into these schools?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Chances of getting into these schools?

by Galactus21 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:23 pm
Hi, I did not score very well on my GMAT, but it was never my intention of going to a top of the line business school.

Brief overview of me:

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration w/emphasis Management Information Systems
GPA: 3.335 (Last 60 units)
GMAT Score: 530 (quant: 39, verb: 23)
Current Employment: Jr. IT Business Analyst at Ross Stores

The schools that I am applying for have the following averages of admission:

San Jose State
GMAT: 600
GPA: 3.3

San Francisco State
GMAT: 580
GPA: 3.3

University of California - Riverside
GMAT: 574
GPA: 3.35

California State University, East Bay
GMAT - 560
GPA: Not sure

I've already taken the GMAT 3 times. First one unreported, the second was 430, and now the third time is 530. I know that is still low, but if it's enough to get into the above schools I would like to not take the GMAT again (due to how expensive it is).

If someone can provide some help, I would greatly appreciate.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 pm
Thank you for your inquiry, and congratulations on pulling up your score 100 points. While the 530 is below the mean for your schools, pulling it up so much is still an impressive accomplishment.

You provide the mean, but may find it more helpful to look at the range. Schools usually provide the range that 80% of their GMAT scores fall into. So if for example a school indicates that 80% of its scores are between 550 and 650, with a mean of 600, you may decide that it's too much of a stretch, since your GMAT is below the bottom of their range. Not that it's impossible if you're below the range - pure mathematics indicates that 10% will be - but everything else on your application has to be that much stronger.

On the other hand, if you find a school where the range is 500-600, then you're comfortably in that range and can focus on the other aspects of your application.

I hope that helps, best of luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php