A Big Dilemma! Kindly help me out!

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

A Big Dilemma! Kindly help me out!

by Padre » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:36 am
I have applied to J Molson and UBC Sauder in Canada (Both R1). If I get rejected in both the schools I am planning to apply for other colleges. If I am rejected by one college and accepted in the other I will join the one that accepted me!

My profile -
Indian
GMAT - 640
Work ex - 2 years as a project engineer and 1 year as a project manager.
U.G. - Engg - 70%
A very active social reformer and tons of extra currics

The dilemma is when they both give me an admit! I frankly do not know what to choose! There must be some pattern or factors that I need to be looking at when choosing. The following are the factors I have found (it might be right or wrong) for both the schools. Kindly correct me if I am wrong regarding the info and also suggest me the best option!

J Molson - Montreal

1. More job opportunities
2. Harsh weather at times
3. Not much brand value
4. Need to know french (can be learned)
5. I have few of my folks in Montreal.
6. Cost of living is low
7. It does not have many Asians
8. Does not appear in the rankings for Top 100 schools

Sauder-UBC - BC

1. Less Job opportunities
2. Amazing weather
3. Very good brand value for UBC
4. English would suffice
5. I do not know anyone here
6. Cost of living is very high
7. Vancouver has too many Asians and it scares me on the recruitment front!
8. It appears constantly in the rankings

Grey areas!

1. I do not know what specialization is good in these colleges!
2. I do not know what specialization suits the present needs! (I am planning to work in Canada after graduation)
3. I do not know abt the part time job opportunities in either cities!
4. The most important, I do not know how use the above info (Pros and cons) and gauge which is a better option!

Last request (You can choose to ignore this!):

It will also be helpful if you let me know of my chances of getting in to these 2 colleges and also suggest me other options if they reject me! If they reject me I have to apply to colleges that will accept me for sure! I have to start my MBA by sep 2010 due to personal reasons.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:01 pm
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.

There are many factors to consider in choosing a school and you certainly have identified many of the important ones. You may also want to consider the strength and commitment of each school's alumni network and the quality of their career services office. Once you have your acceptances, then I encourage you to visit or speak with the career office at each school to help them sort through some of your questions.

Perhaps it would be best to wait until you have acceptances to both in hand; while it is helpful to think through how you would make the decision, you don't yet know if you'll be in a position to have to make one. I do wish you luck and hope that you do get good news from both.

Best of luck,
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php