Profile Evaluation and Advice

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation and Advice

by ashkonj » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:29 am
-23 year old male, U.S. born citizen.

-I graduated with a 3.9 GPA in Finance, 4.0 major GPA from a #30 ranked undergrad business school.

-2 years work experience as a financial analyst at a top technology company. Got a promotion 1.5 years in. Plan to work for another 1.5-2 yrs as is detailed below.

-gmat shooting for 700+

Extracurrics:
-started own nonprofit that is a 501c3 registered U.S. charity
-board of director and treasurer for a nonprofit that focuses on the intersection of business and the environment
Lead volunteer at a top 5 business school's social entrepreneurship program
-had a small online marketing business on the side
-toastmasters

My whole "angle" and reason for going to business school is to pursue social entrepreneurship. I think my extra currics speak to that fact. I am hoping to get into a top 10 school, top 5 preferably.

Also, in order to achieve this goal and since I've worked 2 yrs in finance, I am thinking about quitting that job and working full time on my nonprofit to really build it up. I think that would speak more to my commitment to the field and why I want an MBA, and is something I frankly would enjoy more than working in my current job.

What are your thoughts?
Would a person with 4 yrs work experience in finance at a top tech company be better off than someone with 2 yrs in finance and then 2 yrs running their own nonprofit? How do you think companies recruiting MBA students would look at that?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:22 pm
Hi - thanks for your inquiry. I saw that you posted it on another message board as well, and I answered it there. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php