Could you evaliate my profile please?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Could you evaliate my profile please?

by cuzimsomoney » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:49 am
Hi,
I wanted to ask for some advice with regards to my situation. My profile is below, could you possibly suggest schools which I would be competitive at. I have named some below but have concerns about shooting higher due to my low GPA and percieved lack of career progression

About me:
24 years old from a small european country which is very under represented in MBA programs. Lived in 12 countries growing up and have travelled to many more. Held leadership positions throughout college (all sporting) and contibuted to some academic societies.

Extra curriculars:
Very sporting. Play rugby to a high standard, Surf, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (have travelled to Brazil and Singapore to compete), Extensive charity work including a spell volunteering in Cambodia.

Work experience:
I currently have 1.5 years of work experience and would be planning on applying in another 1.5 years (giving me 3 years at application and 4 upon matriculation). Since graduating I have been engaged in a start up which focuses on the oil and gas industry. I have been employed in this role by two VP's who are very senior within the industry and their respective countries. Services include access to VC funding ($5m), international marketing for companies wishing to expand internationally, and the provision of executive consultative services. With work I have travelled to Singapore, Norway and Aberdeen. things are tough at the moment due to the economy and progression has slowed. I set up the business from scratch as the gents I work for remain fully employed.

I have also spent the past few months working with the head of a very large multi-national asset management firm to develop new investment vehicles. My work was presented to the board of directors and focused on Alternative investments within the energy industry. This will finish soon as my work is nearly completed.

I can provide excellent recommendations from both companies.

GMAT:

Future Plans:
Possibly an MSc in Financial services or International business
Studying for CFA Level 1
Some college level courses to address a low GPA

Weakness: Very low GPA due to illness. Problems which have since been addressed. not sure what it converts too from the european system but I would estimate around a 2.0.

Target schools:
In no order UT@Austin, Duke, Darden, Yale, Georgetown, ASU, UNC

I have a clear vision of why I want to do the MBA and where it would take me.

Thanks for any help,guidance or advice you can offer!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:19 pm
Thank you for your question. With the exception of the gpa, which I'll address shortly, you could be a very intersting candidate - tremendous international experience, excellent leadership and start up experience, proven results, strong references, and a very good GMAT score. I think (with the exception of the gpa) that you would be extremely competitive at the schools you mention.

But the gpa is really low. I definitely think you should focus on building an alternate transcript - taking classes that will demonstrate more recent ability to manage academically. You should also be sure, if you don't have it already, to get an official letter from your school dean or from a doctor describing your condition. It may not be a bad idea as well to start building a relationship with the schools now. I'm not sure how much it would help - but your gpa is so low (usually when we think of applicants with low GPAs who have to build alternative transcripts we think of 2.7-3.2) that it may be worth having an initial conversation with them about what steps you could take.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php