How Do MBA Schools look at Multiple GMAT Scores

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I recently finished taking the GMAT for the 2nd time. Below are my scores.

1st exam - 610 (68 percentile) Quant 40 (58 p), Ver 34 (68 p)
2nd exam - 640 (75p) Quant 49 (87p), Ver 28 (47p)

I am debating whether to take the gmat for a third time. In general, how do schools look at multiple scores. I've done some research and found that most schools take the highest overall score. In this case, it would be from the 2nd exam. Obviously the Verbal score is not good to say the least, but will the school even look at the fact that I scored a 34 the first time. Would they take that into consideration?

From my point of view, i think a 49 in Quant is the max score i can get. I know I can do better in Verbal. I am afraid if I don't show any improvements on the 3 exam, my scores will look less favorably.

I am plan to apply to NYU, TEXAS, and UCLA in 2011.

any comments regarding the above will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:710

by dmateer25 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
pul111 wrote:I recently finished taking the GMAT for the 2nd time. Below are my scores.

1st exam - 610 (68 percentile) Quant 40 (58 p), Ver 34 (68 p)
2nd exam - 640 (75p) Quant 49 (87p), Ver 28 (47p)

I am debating whether to take the gmat for a third time. In general, how do schools look at multiple scores. I've done some research and found that most schools take the highest overall score. In this case, it would be from the 2nd exam. Obviously the Verbal score is not good to say the least, but will the school even look at the fact that I scored a 34 the first time. Would they take that into consideration?

From my point of view, i think a 49 in Quant is the max score i can get. I know I can do better in Verbal. I am afraid if I don't show any improvements on the 3 exam, my scores will look less favorably.

I am plan to apply to NYU, TEXAS, and UCLA in 2011.

any comments regarding the above will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Most schools say they will only consider your highest score. However, they will be able to see all of your scores if you were to take the GMAT again and report it to schools. I don't think they will hold it against you and if you can improve your verbal score dramatically, it might show your ability to improve and look good.

Those are just my thoughts. Hope that helps!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by LS58 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 pm
A previous post mentioned that if you've taken multiple GMATs, some schools (Tuck, for example), will take your highest verbal and highest quant.

Does anyone know how many schools adhere to this policy?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm
LS58 wrote:A previous post mentioned that if you've taken multiple GMATs, some schools (Tuck, for example), will take your highest verbal and highest quant.

Does anyone know how many schools adhere to this policy?
I've only rarely encountered schools that have a policy of considering your highest section scores on multiple GMAT tests. As Dave mentioned earlier, most schools only consider your highest aggregate GMAT score and examine your performance within each section of that score.

The best thing to do is to call the admissions offices and ask for the schools you intend to apply. The phone call should be completely anonymous and you'll quickly get a definitive answer.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:28 am
Hey all,

I would like to add something from my experience. I gave GMAT twice
1st attempt : 660 (Q50, V28)
2nd attempt : 710(Q49,V35)

During my interview, one of the interviewer(I had a panel interview!) asked me "why did your score in Quant dropped the second time"
I wasn't literally prepared for this because School I applied had the policy to consider the latest score only. Although, I did manage to survive this blooper :D:D

My Advice, be mentally prepared and don't whine or feel sorry about the low score during interview.