Report 690 or 700?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Report 690 or 700?

by beatgmatyo » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:09 am
I have taken the GMAT twice and am in need of some advice on which score to report. I am applying second rounds. I come from a finance/quant job, graduated from a top public undergrad, with some extracurricular to balance out my application. The first time I took the GMAT, I scored a 700, but a very low quant percentile. With the 80/80 admissions rule in mind, I took it a second time but scored a 690. My quant score significantly improved at the cost of my verbal (I focused mainly on quant this time).

Which do you suggest I report to the schools? Thank you in advance for your consideration.
Last edited by beatgmatyo on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant

by erins » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:09 pm
Hi -

When you report your official score, it is my understanding that every test taken within the past 5 years appears on the score report. So, regardless of the score you report, the schools will have both test scores - I am not sure that you will be able to report one or the other but you could confirm this with GMAC.

We typically advise our clients that 700 with 80th percentile in Q/V is the benchmark for success. With your 700 and low quant score, you could make use of the optional essay to explain how the Q score is not indicative of your ability showing that you have excelled in a quant heavy, finance job.

Best,
Erin
Erin Schuhmacher, MBA
Senior Consultant

Our Mission is Your Mission

mbaMission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Read the mbaMission Guides (12 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Visit the mbaMission Twitter