Please help -low GMAT

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Please help -low GMAT

by stevieg » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:45 am
Hi all,

I am a British citizen aiming to apply ot Harvard.

I was working at a large investment bank until recently and want to move into non-profit. I have an average GPA 3.5. My extra-curricular activities are excellent and my recommendations will be very strong. I am sure of this.

Essentially, I feel my overall application is very strong apart from one thing - the dreaded GMAT.

At the moment I simply cannot get a score above 560 on practice tests. I am yet to sit the GMAT practice test. The scores I have got so far are

Knewton - 420
Manhttn CAT 1 - 430
Manhttn CAT 2 - 480
Manhttn CAT 3 - 560

I'm not a good test taker at these kind of tests and I'm really struggling. I think my application is strong bar my GMAT scores. I've spoken to admissions consultants and they all agree with this. I'm worried that if and when I sit my GMAT I will get such a low score that the HBS committee won't even look at my application.

Should I even bother applying if I don't get 600+?

Any advice would be really grateful.

Regards,

Jonathon Steven

MBA Admissions Consultant

by erins » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:28 pm
Hi -

It is difficult to say "don't apply" with a very low GMAT score, particularly without knowing a great deal about your background (other than you were working at an I-bank until recently and your extra curricular activities are excellent).

Harvard's class of 2011 profile the GMAT range is listed at 490-800 while the middle 50% is 700-760. So, students with sub 600 were admitted but of course, it's a hurdle you will need to overcome.

Regards,
Erin
Erin Schuhmacher, MBA
Senior Consultant

Our Mission is Your Mission

mbaMission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Read the mbaMission Guides (12 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Visit the mbaMission Twitter