Hi,

Please provide your valuable tips on my candidacy to the following programs:

Univ of Chicago
Wharton
Columbia
Tuck
NYU

Indian Male, 28

Goal: Shor term: Work in the field of finance. Long term: Management position in Finance and would like to start my own education fund.

GMAT SCORES:

620 (Q45, V31) AWA 5.0 First Attempt
680 (Q49, V33) AWA 6.0 Second Attempt

Academics:
Bachelor's in Chemical Engineering
Master's in Chemical Engineering w 3.5 GPA from US
Certificate in Finance [NYIF]
Certificate in Portfolio Management [2 Courses pending; NYIF]

Experience:

Teaching Assistant - 6 months [Stevens Inst of Technology, New Jersey]
Research Assistant - 2 yrs [Stevens Inst of Tech]
Business Analyst - 6 months [Educational Testing Services]
Lead Business Analyst/Asst. Project Manager - 3 yrs [Educational Testing Services]

Although, I have been working in software development, I am not sure if my experience comes under the typical umbrella of quote n quote ''IT". My work has been mostly revolved aroung process improvement in software development and project management. I was promoted to lead the team and asst with project management activities within 6 months of joining. Also, the industry that i am working in i.e. Educational services [ETS; non-for-profit] should of some assistance in differentiating my profile, at least I hope.

Extra Curriculars:
Organized various religious gathering throughout my childhood.
Participated in raising money for charity throughout my school.
Have been the captain of cricket team
Also have tutored students in Mathematics

Please let me know if I am overshooting.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:17 am
Hi and thanks for your inquiry.

You have some strong points - being in a less typical field with progressively greater responsibility and leadership, primarily. I have a slight hesitation around the career change aspect of your goal, since in this economy career changers face extra scrutiny - especially those going into finance. On the other hand, through your additional certificates you are mitigating the risk of that career change and showing that you have been working towards that goal for some time. I think that will be viewed very positively.

On the downside...there is still a lingering "Indian IT" element that you'll want to work hard to offset in your essays (by focusing on the educational and process improvement side of your work), your GMAT is on the lower side for the schools and for other Indian applicants, and I don't see a lot in the way of current community involvement.

So, yes, I think all of the schools on your list are stretches. I would still encourage you to apply to one or two of them, but if your goal is to be in business school next year, you may want to replace some with lower-ranked (but still very good) schools to the list.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by hagadre » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:33 am
Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

I do agree that there is a linering Indian IT element in my experience. But, the fact that I could adapt to the demanding job functions of IT with non-IT related education should help me differentiate from the rest of the IT pool. Plz note: I graduated from MS (Chem engg) and directly accepted a position in IT wihtout any experience and was able to perform at the highest level to have acheived a promotion within 6 months of joining.

Regarding the GMAT score, do you think it would be worth to give GMAT another shot given that my score is average compared to the rest of the IT applicants.

And coming to the community service, I have actively been involved in guiding my younger friends choosing the right career path. Also, I helped my friend financially so that he could complete his studies. One thing to note regarding the community service experience of Indian students is that we do not go through a organized effort of community serive as people in US. Although, we do a bulk of community service in an unorganized fashion. I think this is the biggest gap in terms of realizing the community service efforts of students from India and I hope to bring this to the notice of the Adcoms.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:43 am
Thanks for the follow up. If you think you can raise your GMAT score without taking too much time away from writing excellent essays, then yes, it may be worth taking again.

You also raise another point that I'm glad you brought up. While most applicants tend to focus on the work and community sides of their applications, we encourage them to look at their own personal story as well. Schools want to see well-rounded people; applicants without a lot of organized community service can still demonstrate that through exploring their personal history - helping siblings or friends, making a difference in others' lives, overcoming obstacles, etc. Those are all potential essay topics as well.

Good luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.

by hagadre » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:33 am
Jessica,

Thanks a ton for your prompt response. I will think about giving the GMAT a third time based upon how my rest of app process shapes up.

From a personal story point of view, I definitely think I would have a decent shot at the schools listed above because I have a truly genuine inspiring story to talk about. I don't think I would have to make up anything regarding my desire to pursue MBA and long term goals.

I do want to take your advice of applying to schools, which are out of the top 10 ranks. Could you please suggest some schools good in finance and career placements.

Also, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to each and every question that the applicants have. I see myself in a similar situation couple of year from now. Kudos for all your guidance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:37 am
Thank you for the kind words...which I may undermine by not responding to your last question! There are so many factors beyond ranking that go into school selection - location, class size, areas of focus, type of curriculum, type of teaching, etc. - that I would be irresponsible to recommend specific schools. Instead, why don't you go through the next 10-20 schools on whatever ranking website you prefer, look for those with GMAT scores similar to yours, and depending on all the other factors I mentioned above, then narrow down your list. I'll be happy to give feedback on a short list of specific schools.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
646-485-8844

by hagadre » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:54 am
That's fine Jessy [if I may call you so]. I haven't really researched much beyond the schools that I had listed above primarily because of their strength in Finance.

As far as schools whose GMAT ranges covers my score, for all of the schools listed above my score does fall in the 80% GMAT range scores.

Your valuable suggestions have been very helpful. I will keep you posted regarding the status of my apps.

by hagadre » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:47 pm
Hi Jessica,

A follow up question for you:

I have been organizing religious gatherings at my home regularly.

Would this experience add value to my extra curricular activities. Please let me know.

Thanks
Harish

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJessica » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:41 pm
Hi Harish -

Yes, I think it would, but my suggestion is to focus on the organizational and community building aspects, not the religious ones.
hagadre wrote:Hi Jessica,

A follow up question for you:

I have been organizing religious gatherings at my home regularly.

Would this experience add value to my extra curricular activities. Please let me know.

Thanks
Harish
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
646-485-8844