Please evaluate my profile

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by advit » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:18 am
GMAT score : 690 (Q49 - 88%ile V35 - 73%ile AWA 5 - 56%ile)
Work experience : 2.5 years (Accenture) - Programmer and then Senior Programmer
Graduation : Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science)
%age : 67% (First Class)
Nationality : Indian

Interests : Strategy/Consulting

MBA programs shortlisted : (if possible, please let me know my chances in each of them and if any other program that I have not included but is suitable for a profile like mine)

Canada : Queen's, Rotman, Richard Ivey
US : Kelley (Indiana), Cornell, UCLA, UIUC, USC(Univ of south california)
Singapore : NUS, Nanyang
India : ISB

EDUCATIONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS

* Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science, Visveswaraiah Technological University, India (September 2003 - June 2007).
* Certified Application Developer - Accenture Solutions Delivery Academy, Co-Sponsored with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Professional Education Programs (October 2008 -January 2009).
* Certified Application Outsourcing Proficient by Accenture Delivery Centre Network - AO School (August 2009).
* Completed Accenture's Greenfield Training Certification (July 2007-September 2007).

PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS

* Proud recipient of Accenture ASE Achievers' Award in Sep, 2008. Received a performance bonus of INR 30000 for the same.
* Recognized with Innovative Payment Group's Star Award in Dec, 2008 for playing lead's role by taking complete ownership of providing the daily Status of the application to the Project Manager in the absence of the Team Lead.
* Rated as CSAPG (Contributor Significantly Above the Peer Group) for FY2009.
* Secured All India Rank 434 (99 percentile) in National Information Technology Aptitude Test (NITAT-2004) conducted by NIIT (National Institute of Information Technology).
* Proud recipient of Scholar Gold Medal, Scholar Blazer and Scholar Badge during school time.
* Bagged 2nd position in MBD Science Talent Search Exam and 28th rank in National Level Maths Aptitude Test.
* Secured 13th position in State Level Science Exam. Got cash prize of INR1000.
* Received trophy for 2nd prize during the Oil Conservation Week.
* Captained the school cricket team and participated in various sports activities in school.

POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY HELD

* Was elected Class Representative in college (2005-2006).
* Was elected Captain in school (2002-2003).
* Was elected Prefect in school (2001-2002).

EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES

Social Service
* Active member of Corporate Social Responsibility Team in Accenture, Bangalore. Participated in various initiatives, such as, Plant a tree campaign, Blood Donation Drive and visit to the Hope Foundation (NGO for children).
* Associated with Concern India Foundation (for past 4 years, part time) and helped them in fund raising for various projects.
* Received Certificate of Social Responsibility from HelpAge India Foundation for efforts in spreading awareness and collecting funds for their events.

Language Courses
* Completed French LEVEL A1 Breakthrough (Part 1 and 2) at Alliance Française (October 2008- May 2009).

Cultural
* Participated in Accenture's 'Financial Services-Application Outsourcing unit' Carnival -2009 and prepared the script for the play "Mahabharata in Accenture".
* Participated in various inter project Bay Decoration Competitions and Ethnic Day Celebration at Accenture.

Other Activities
* Organized team building activities, such as, 'Happy Hours' and Team Outings.
* Assisted Placement Officer in college's various placement activities, such as, conducting mock interviews, preparing documents et al for batch mates as well as juniors to help them in facing actual placement rounds.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:24 am
Hi, and thank you for your inquiry. You provided a tremendous amount of detail which is really helpful. Overall, you do face two obstacles (your demographic as an Indian IT applicant, and a slightly lower GMAT score than many of your peers) but aside from that show growth and leadership at work, and good involvement in the community. Cornell may be a bit of a stretch but otherwise I think the schools on your list are all reasonable for you. I do not know very much about the Singapore schools, but if they are similar to the others on your list in terms of GMAT/gpa/rank, they are reasonable as well.

Do make sure that you're more specific and detailed in your goals, showing how your past and the MBA are logical steps towards achieving them. Simply stating that you want to get into consulting will not be enough.

Good luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php