730 - 48 quant, 41 verbal

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

730 - 48 quant, 41 verbal

by tbinca » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:31 pm
Just took the exam on saturday, I am very happy with my score but was a bit surprised by it as I didn't feel as comfortable as I expected taking the test.

I felt well prepared, but a bit rushed, especially on the quant section. I only took the 2 GMATPrep timed tests, I think taking more of those would've helped a lot. I did lots of practice questions, but pacing is key. I would definitely recommend as many timed tests as possible.

For what's it's worth I got a 690 (no studying) and a 720 (3 days before test) on my 2 practice tests.

I only used the Official Guide v11 and the Kaplan GMAT 800 study guides. I thought both were great and complemented each other nicely. OG11 provided a great breadth of questions, while Kaplan 800 really zeroed in on the tougher concepts (even though it doesn't provide that many questions).

I found the beatthegmat flashcards to be very helpful as well. One of the things I did the night before the test was paraphrase all the flashcards into a text file to refresh and pound them into my head. Worth it just for the idiom list which is very useful in the SC.

Overall, I spent about 2 months studying. Probably about 5-10 hours / week through that time. I kind of took the less intensive route. I think the shorter / more intensive would be more effective, but I'm trying to hold on to my social life as long as I can before I go back to school!

I do have one complaint about the Pearson system, the marker boards in lieu of pen & paper is a serious disadvantage for us lefties. While outlining my response for the first essay question, I wiped out almost all of my notes by smearing the marker with my writing hand (this is why I stopped using pencil and switched to fast-dry ink in 2nd grade). This rattled me a bit for the essay questions, I haven't gotten my AWA scores back yet, but I'm not holding my breath for a 6. I don't know what advice to give to lefties out there, other than be very careful.

Overall a good experience, thanks to beatthegmat for the great resource here!!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:01 am
Congrats !! Great score

All the best