MBA Application Profile evaluation request

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA Application Profile evaluation request

by kncs » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:06 pm
Hello,

I request you to please go through my profile and help me understand the ground reality about my preparedness for the MBA schools of my choice.

GMAT: Expecting 720
Target: Round 2 for 2010 (Jan 2010 deadline).

Education:
MS in Computer Science from Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago; GPA: 3.6; Graduated in Fall 2004
B.Tech from JNTU Hyderabad, India; Percentage: 73% - Graduated in Spring 2001.

Professional certifications:
1. Project Management Professional (PMP).
2. Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for Java platform. (Highest tech certification in that field in the industry. I am not apologetic for my tech skills, in fact satisfied/proud of my accomplishments).

Work Exp: Total: 4.5 years
1. For the last 1 yr working as Tech Architect (as a consultant) for a major Health Insurance company:
a. After my PMP certification, I wanted to move as a Project Manager but as the economy is bad and there is a lot of hiring freeze, this may not happen for next 6 months.
b. Initiated and lead various strategic initiatives that solve the problems in right way and there by saved thousands of dollars in terms of man power used, time spent on them and customer support.
c. Managed and collaborated with various experts from different departments to solve complex problems.
2. Worked as a Project Lead for 3.5 yrs (as a consultant) for Fortune 50 Company.
a. Lead and nurtured the next generation of project leads and developers for the company.
b. Analyzed and solved complex project problems and issues.
c. Built team spirit by organizing various team building activities.

Entrepreneur ventures:
1. Co-Founder and CEO for a start-up company in US that develops software for mobile phones. Our product was selected for semi-final round in a major tech conference. I presented it myself and currently following up with VCs and business partners to raise money for the company and make deals.
2. Co-Founder and Manager for an Indian IT company that has under taken 2 projects for clients in Europe and has to date a turn over in single digit million rupees.

Extra-curricular activities:

1. As a member of maintenance committee in a major temple in US, I initiated projects to maintain the Temple in good condition to cause comfort for the devotees who come to visit temple. I am also working on a Project Management Template that temple can use to create, record and maintain project cost, schedule and time in a professional way that can save a lot of money by doing it in right way. (This is a democratic process, so successful completion of Initiated projects takes time, but the fact that I am involved in such an open minded and democratic process is very satisfying).
2. During my under graduate years, successfully lead my peers and juniors in maintaining the harmony and peaceful living of various communities in the college campus.
3. From childhood, has been active in organizing various religious and social events that causes people to celebrate the functions and joy.

MBA goals: Entrepreneurship and Leadership related course work and experience.

Target MBA universities: Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, MIT, Yale, Columbia and Univ of Chicago.

Can you please give me your evaluation of my profile?

Sincerely,
kncs

MBA Admissions Consultant

by erins » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:47 pm
Hi Kncs,

Thank you for the inquiry.

It sounds as though you have solid professional experience as well as meaningful community service involvement - both of which mean you are on your way to creating a compelling candidacy. Your GMAT score and undergraduate records are also strong (although perhaps from not extremely well-known schools). Of course, entrepreneurial experience is a big plus as well!

Your challenge will be to distinguish yourself from the pool of candidates with a similar background to your own. As such, I would suggest you focus on those experiences that are unique to you. Check out our thoughts on making sure you don't "over represent over representation" from our blog.
https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2009/05/ ... sentation/

Your age would seem to make you a bit on the older spectrum for schools like Harvard and Stanford, both of which have tended to favor candidates who are a bit younger. Targeting a mix of programs like Columbia, Yale, MIT, Chicago and perhaps a program like Michigan (Ross) would seem to make sense.

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Erin Schuhmacher, MBA
Senior Consultant

Our Mission is Your Mission

mbaMission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Read the mbaMission Guides (12 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Visit the mbaMission Twitter