gmat score?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

gmat score?

by boconn2 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:49 pm
I want
Last edited by boconn2 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, just studyin for the gmat

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: gmat score?

by beatthegmat » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:32 pm
boconn2 wrote:I wanted to see if anyone had input concerning the Kaplan CAT tests. I have been enrolled in the course for more than two weeks, and I scored a 570 on the first CAT and a 590 on the 2nd. I'm a bit frustrated because I feel I have a solid understanding of the concepts. If anyone has any advice about these Kaplan tests and how they translate into a REAL GMAT score, please let me know!

-Brian
Do not take your Kaplan scores seriously. Most people add about 80-120 points on top of their Kaplan score to get a sense of how they would actually perform on the GMAT.

Kaplan's scoring algorithm is designed to produce practice exam scores that are very low, to make folks think that they need a lot of help, which drives sales of Kaplan test prep services.

If you want to get some sense of how your Kaplan score converts to an actual score, check out this resource (but take it with a grain of salt since it's not really scientific but anecdotal): https://www.gmatclub.com/content/resourc ... /index.php

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by boconn2 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:03 pm
If any
Last edited by boconn2 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, just studyin for the gmat

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by SummerSquall » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:55 am
Stop taking the Kaplan tests. They are not realistic, especially for verbal. It doesn't sound like the class is helping, and it might not be worth it to continue. I don't know if their moneyback guarantee is good if you quit the class or only if you take the real GMAT and bomb it, but if you're studying Kaplan materials 2 hours a day and not getting anywhere, you need to do something different.

Use the Princeton Review books instead...Cracking the GMAT is MUCH better on strategy, especially verbal, and the tests are much more like the real GMAT. Do the PR tests and the official GMAT Prep tests. Don't waste any more time on Kaplan tests, because they will not reflect your real capabilities. Keep working with the OG, but use PR's strategies instead. I guarantee you will see an improvement.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:27 pm
Kaplan tests are still worthwhile as practice--but as was said before, don't take these scores seriously. I remember that I felt exactly the way you did when I was preparing for my own GMAT. I was consistently scoring in the high 500s on Kaplan tests and didn't seem to be improving.

Don't take your Kaplan test scores seriously.

I was still able to score a 700+...

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:36 pm
SummerSquall wrote:Stop taking the Kaplan tests. They are not realistic, especially for verbal. It doesn't sound like the class is helping, and it might not be worth it to continue. I don't know if their moneyback guarantee is good if you quit the class or only if you take the real GMAT and bomb it, but if you're studying Kaplan materials 2 hours a day and not getting anywhere, you need to do something different.

Use the Princeton Review books instead...Cracking the GMAT is MUCH better on strategy, especially verbal, and the tests are much more like the real GMAT. Do the PR tests and the official GMAT Prep tests. Don't waste any more time on Kaplan tests, because they will not reflect your real capabilities. Keep working with the OG, but use PR's strategies instead. I guarantee you will see an improvement.
I suspect princeton reviews clone here :lol:

Seriously,
but then i think why Princeton review , the great (?) gmat prep company wants a clone identity on beatthegmat forums!! :?: :!: :!:
I have my reasons to believe it but above argument just washes whole thing away. :?

SummerSquall, Eric; any comments?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin

by beatthegmat » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:18 am
Haha, I really don't think we have a Princeton Review agent in our midst. :)

I tend to agree that Cracking the GMAT is better to study with than Kaplan, although PR is not very rigorous (in my opinion).
Last edited by beatthegmat on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by SummerSquall » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:12 am
haha, that's funny.

There's another GMAT board I was on, and everyone there was complaining about Kaplan and suggesting GMATPrep, OG and PR instead. I honestly just think those materials are so much better. I think Kaplan is good if you want tough practice questions, but practically everyone says not to use the tests for anything else. The quant questions are good, tho.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:04 am
SummerSquall wrote:haha, that's funny.

There's another GMAT board I was on, and everyone there was complaining about Kaplan and suggesting GMATPrep, OG and PR instead. I honestly just think those materials are so much better. I think Kaplan is good if you want tough practice questions, but practically everyone says not to use the tests for anything else. The quant questions are good, tho.
why i did write that has reason though...hope you take it lightly :lol:

...that not a single ( or almost all) post you published has anything other than Princeton reiview.
You have never placed a query here on this forum board nor you introduced yourself nor you ever talked about your GMAT plan
:shock:

hee haa ha
buddy you are one of the significant figures here but we hardly know anything about you... :D :) 8) :?: