Profile assessment, please!

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile assessment, please!

by boopsygirl83 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:30 am
Hello,

I am a female gradated from a Top 20 University in the United states with a 3.5 GPA.

My GMAT practice test scores have been about 650. I am hoping to get a 670 on the actual GMAT.

After college I moved to South America where I have a year and half working with a start-up company in sales and I will have 2.5 years of experience with a Big Four auditing firm by the time I plan to attend an MBA program. In total 4 years of international work experience in Spanish (I am originally from the USA).

I have been involved in several volunteer activities throughout my time in South America.

My top schools are Columbia, Dartmouth and Wharton as well as Yale. Any chance I can get into those? or is my head in the clouds?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:10 pm
Hi boopsygirl and thanks for your post. Please see my comments below:

I am a female gradated from a Top 20 University in the United states with a 3.5 GPA.

This is a great GPA and certainly on par with the averages of those admitted to top programs, however, you didn't state your major. Do you mind sharing this with me?

My GMAT practice test scores have been about 650. I am hoping to get a 670 on the actual GMAT.

Keep taking those practice test until you get at least a 670. In my experience it is rare to score higher on the actual exam than on the practice test.

After college I moved to South America where I have a year and half working with a start-up company in sales and I will have 2.5 years of experience with a Big Four auditing firm by the time I plan to attend an MBA program. In total 4 years of international work experience in Spanish (I am originally from the USA).

Your work experience is diverse and seems quite solid. This should be a great strength for your applications. You didn't state whether or not you've had any leadership experience. Can you let me know if this is the case?

I have been involved in several volunteer activities throughout my time in South America.

Did you hold leadership roles in your volunteer work? What type of work have you been doing?

My top schools are Columbia, Dartmouth and Wharton as well as Yale. Any chance I can get into those? or is my head in the clouds?

As you can see from my questions above I'd like to get a little more information from you in order to give you my assessment. I hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by boopsygirl83 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:06 am
My responses are below... hopefully you can easily distinguish them from your comments. Thanks so much for you help, Stacey!
Hi boopsygirl and thanks for your post. Please see my comments below:

This is a great GPA and certainly on par with the averages of those admitted to top programs, however, you didn't state your major. Do you mind sharing this with me?
I double majored in Spanish and Biology and did a semester abroad in South America.

Keep taking those practice test until you get at least a 670. In my experience it is rare to score higher on the actual exam than on the practice test.

Your work experience is diverse and seems quite solid. This should be a great strength for your applications. You didn't state whether or not you've had any leadership experience. Can you let me know if this is the case?
I am on the executive committee and was part of the founding of a womens leadership group within my company where I regularly organize events and training sessions for the firm, bringing female leaders from around the country to speak to the women at my firm.

Did you hold leadership roles in your volunteer work? What type of work have you been doing?
At my previous company I was the president of the Volunteer Outreach Program, where I worked with a local volunteer organization to arrange volunteer work for the firm, where we would repair orphanages around the city. In my current job I participate in an educational program where through my company we teach a series of classes promoting entrepreurship to 3-4th graders in public schools.

As you can see from my questions above I'd like to get a little more information from you in order to give you my assessment. I hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

Stacey

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:14 pm
Hi,

Thanks so much for the clarification. You certainly can be competitive at the programs you've listed! You'll want to be sure to use examples from the Women's Leadership Group and the Volunteer Outreach Program. Both of these can be a nice feather in your cap.

Feel free to send your resume to [email protected] for a free assessment.

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.