Profile evaluation !

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation !

by tanksingh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:50 am
Hi,

Can you evaluate my profile and suggest some improvements as well as target schools for Round 1 applications ?

GMAT - 780 Q50 V47
5 year Masters in Mathematics and Computing (Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi) - Not so good GPA (on the uptrend)
CFA Level 1 candidate - June 2009 (Awaiting results)

Work-ex - 4 years by June 2010.
Working in a growing organization. Domain - consumer lending/Banking. Role - Business Analyst (Risk Management / Data Analytics).

International Work-ex - 1 year in US for a project with a top US bank.

Worked with different facets of banking and in different geographies. On the flipside, I do not have any major managerial experience or a fortune 100 brand name on my resume.

3 summer internships in Korea, Spain and Denmark (10-12 weeks each). travelled extensively and can speak five languages with some degree of competence.

Extra-curriculars - Strong leadership roles in college and some innovative activities outside college. Some community involvement post-college (No-leadership roles). Working on this aspect.

Expectations from MBA - to gain know-how of business, to be part of an effective business network, strong global brand-name that is recognized in the Indian market as well, and the overall experience.

Desired post-mba role - Management role in consumer lending division of any top bank.

Long-term - To start my own consulting practice in the area of credit risk management.

Schools that I am looking at right now include: Tuck, Haas, Yale SOM, INSEAD, London Business School, Kellogg, NYU and Chicago.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,
Tanksingh

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:20 pm
Hi Tanksingh and thanks for your post. Please see my comments below:

GMAT - 780 Q50 V47
5 year Masters in Mathematics and Computing (Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi) - Not so good GPA (on the uptrend)
CFA Level 1 candidate - June 2009 (Awaiting results)

Your GMAT score is excellent and will certianly help to compensate for your low GPA. You many want to consider writing a brief optional essay for each of your appications explaining the circumstances behind your low GPA. It's better to offer up your own explanation than it is to let the adcom draw their own conclusions.

Work-ex - 4 years by June 2010.
Working in a growing organization. Domain - consumer lending/Banking. Role - Business Analyst (Risk Management / Data Analytics).

International Work-ex - 1 year in US for a project with a top US bank.

Worked with different facets of banking and in different geographies. On the flipside, I do not have any major managerial experience or a fortune 100 brand name on my resume.

3 summer internships in Korea, Spain and Denmark (10-12 weeks each). travelled extensively and can speak five languages with some degree of competence.

Your work experience today is on par given how long you have been in the work force. I encourage you to continue to seek out opportunities for growth. Since you do not have any leadership experience to date, I strongly suggest that you look for leadership roles outside of work in extracurricular activities.

Extra-curriculars - Strong leadership roles in college and some innovative activities outside college. Some community involvement post-college (No-leadership roles). Working on this aspect.

It's nice to see that you had strong leadership roles in college, however, did this impact your GPA? As I menionted above, you'll certainly want to strive to find leadership opportunities in your extracurricular activities since you haven't had a leadership role in the work place. I don't recommend leaning on your collegiate leadership experience for your essays as that was several years ago.

Expectations from MBA - to gain know-how of business, to be part of an effective business network, strong global brand-name that is recognized in the Indian market as well, and the overall experience.

Desired post-mba role - Management role in consumer lending division of any top bank.

Long-term - To start my own consulting practice in the area of credit risk management.

Schools that I am looking at right now include: Tuck, Haas, Yale SOM, INSEAD, London Business School, Kellogg, NYU and Chicago.

I think you have put together a solid list of schools. Again, you'll want to be sure to find ways to demonstrate your leadership and team abilities in your essays and throughout your application. You may also want to consider schools such as Darden and Fuqua.

For a free assessment of your profile please send your resume to [email protected]. One of our admissions consultants will contact you to schedule a free phone assessment.

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.