Confusing situation 760 GMAT score

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

Confusing situation 760 GMAT score

by RajenBP » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:59 pm
Overall, I'm actually disappointed in my score.

In my practice tests I was scoring between 780-800 so I was expecting a score in that range. However, the exam threw a bunch of questions I wasn't overall comfortable with. Additionally, I don't think I did great on the essays. Probably 4-5.

I guess I'm done, but again, overall I felt I could have done much better. I studied for 3 weeks so I guess I got away pretty well.

I must give a lot of credit to the GMAT Manhattan courses, as I feel they were very helpful in boosting my score. If I scored what I was scoring in practice tests, it would have been around a 790-800.

My advice, be prepared to score 20-30 points less or more than what you were scoring in practice tests, as the actual GMAT will chuck questions at you that are a bit different from the ones you're used too.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by BeatTheQwerty » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:57 am
Were you scoring 780-800 on MGMAT practice tests, or on PowerPrep and GMATPrep software practice tests?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by cgiles01 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:01 am
Congrats! I wouldn't sweat it. The returns are diminishing beyond 750 anyway. I scored 2 750's (MGMAT and GMATPrep) before the test and got a 730 on the actual. No big deal, time to start writing essays! Amazing score!

Chris
Giles

by RajenBP » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:23 am
I was scoring the 780-800 on the MGMAT and the GMATPrep.

For the amount of time I studied and my score, I should be very grateful, it just feels like I didn't get what I could have gotten.

For all intensive purposes, it is what I needed though.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:21 am
Congrats, Rajen! I'm very pleased to see one of our scholarship recipients performing so well on the GMAT.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by RajenBP » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:06 pm
beatthegmat,

Thank you for the opportunity. Your program was so good I can't put it into words. I really appreciate it. I'm strongly considering applying to gmat manhattan as a tutor, simply because it has what I consider one of the best instructions I've ever taken, across all subjects, not just standardized tests.

I really hope my teaching experience would give me the skills to allow me to be a tutor there, because gmat manhattan does have extremely high standards for its tutors, and to be in such company and help people achieve their goals would be a dream.

by RajenBP » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:19 pm
Ok sorry if this comes in disjointed but I'm at work so I'm going to give you guys the nitty gritty of my GMAT experience as quick as I can.

I'm a research scientist currently working for the US Army Explosives and Warheads Division. I have come to realize management is an important part of almost any industry, including science, so I decided to roll to an MBA and the first step of course is the GMAT.

I said I only studied 3 weeks, however, this is not 100% accurate. I actually began the process 5 weeks before my exam, and took two weeks off between.

As you know, I'm a beat the gmat scholarship winner, and I live close to NY, so I attended the gmat manhattan courses in person. I was fairly skeptical at first but extremely surprised at how helpful the courses were. My instructor, Patrick Siewe, was extremely helpful. One weakness, at least for me, was the class went a little bit too slow, but I guess in retrospect I did ok in the GMAT so it didn't hurt me.

To begin my testing procedure, I began with a practice test from GMAT Manhattan. My first score was a 600, however I did not finish the exam and I also got almost none of the SC questions correct. I looked over my mistakes and took another exam from GMAT Manhattan. This time I got a 670.

I used their assessment tool and went over my mistakes. I noticed my biggest deficit was originally SC and Geometry. So I focused on them by working the SC question bank and Geometry question bank provided by GMAT Manhattan. I then took two weeks off because work was very demanding, however, I managed to still attend my classes.

During my fourth (second if you're only counting weeks I really studied) week, I went on bus trips to nearby army bases, during that time, I have about 1-2 hours a day on a bus. Because of all this free time, I managed to knock out all of the workbooks provided by manhattan GMAT. I only found the SC, geometry, and word translation notebooks to be useful. I also took on two more practice tests that week.

I took another practice and got a 680. I noticed that when you get to the 700 level some of the word translation problems became so difficult you might know how to do them, but still won't be able to finish them in time. The reason for my 680 was extremely bad timing with quant. I took another exam that week after a few days, and with better pacing, got a 730.

I was quickly realizing my initial study plan of studying for 4 months might be a bit on the overkill side, and decided to make an aggressive decision. July 4th weekend was coming up, which meant I got wednesday off, so I decided that I would take the GMAT the monday after July 4th weekend. I used 1 vacation day and worked overtime that pay period so I wouldn't have to use two more. This in effect gave me 5 days off before my GMAT. This gave me plenty of time to study. At worst, I would get a "practice" test with the real gmat, at best, I'd get a good score and not have to worry about it.

I went over my mistakes from practice tests 3 and 4 (still from Manhattan GMAT.) I realized I was extremely good with reading comprehension (only getting two wrong on each exam) and even better with Critical Reasoning (1 wrong). This was very gratifying to me as I feel these are more important skills than SC, however, the GMAT doesn't care. For SC, despite the work I did with it, was only 40%. For math, I saw most of my mistakes were from DS, but overall I did about the same in every section, with no GLARING weakness.

I used this time to knock out the harder problems from the OG and the OG Quant books. This means that I only did the the last 1/4 from the DS and word problem section. I found those were the only ones which were still challenging for math. I then decided to do EVERY SC problem which was available to me, which included the ones from the OG Verbal workbook and the OG regular book.

Again, I went over my mistakes and I learned from them. Too many little things to go over, just mainly details of problems that I didn't think of, or better approaches than I used previously.

I still had 2.5 free days left to study. I decided it was time do practice exams so that I would master pacing and the feel of the real GMAT.

I took two exams from GMAT Prep, the Gmat software provided by mba.com.

On those exams I got 760 and 770. I was happy, but thought that I was bit careless on the quant sections, and thought I could do better with more practice. I was tired and waited until the next day.

On the saturday before the gmat, I decided to take test 5 from GMAT manhattan. I decided to actually write out the essays, because I wanted to do well on them and get a little practice. On this test, For some reason, there was no quant section. I think somebody forgot or something lol. I got a 51 so I was happy, and rolled onto exam 6.

On exam 6, I did the essay, and I absolutely crushed the GMAT with a 790. I wasn't satisfied with this amount of studying because I still had some more time.

GMAT Manhattan offers 6 practice tests, however, you allowed to retake the exams with the same question bank. And since I wasn't getting 700 level questions the entire time, my 7th exam barring 2 quant q's and one verbal still seemed very new.

On the 7th exam is when I completely killed the exam and got an 800. I only got 3 or 4 wrong on either section and honestly, you can argue a lot of the questions which you see in the verbal section of the GMAT (imho this is a weakness of the exam, there are questions where a very reasonable argument can be made for two answers).

After I got through the 7th exam I realized I was ridiculously tired and I had class that day. I went to class, learned a few tricks which were cool and would have been helpful, sadly I didn't see questions like that on my real GMAT.

I didn't study after my class or before my GMAT exam on that monday.

I went to take the exam, and of course, took my pregame dump/piss. This might sound ridiculous but I really didn't want to have to go during the exam.

Essays:

I think I did reasonably well on the essays barring one detail. I was in the middle of trying to fix a small grammar mistake and ended having a half word in one of the essays because I ran out of time.

Quant:

The questions were a bit trickier than I expected and they didn't ask the ones some of the ones I was expecting. Also, I didn't really see any like the ones from the OG. (They were of similar TYPE, but not the same q's with different numbers). One HUGE mistake was for one very easy question I solved it properly on the board, however I misclicked and ended up selecting the wrong answer without realizing it. I even clicked confirm and I only saw I had the wrong answer as I was switching to the next question. This pissed me off and cost me a very easy question but I managed to let it go and continue with the exam.

Verbal:

Overall much simpler than I had thought it would be for me. I have to say this was much closer to my practice tests than Quant was.

Before I got my score I was thinking to myself that even if I did bad, I could just chalk this up as another practice test and move on.

When I got my score back I was disappointed because I scored lower than I thought I would but after looking into the scoring, I found my score was basically like 2-3 right questions away from a MUCH higher score, especially considering my huge quant mistake.

I got a 48 in quant and 47 in Verbal. 760 total.

Overall I say the best practice is practice exams. I found that everything else was just far too easy to provide good experience for the real gmat unless you have a glaring weakness like me.

I found CR and RC to be the easiest questions but IMHO they're also the most relevant to real life. If you can't think critically or read something and understand it you're going to have issues in life than just the GMAT.

Big props to GMAT Manhattan, I think they have it down really good. I can only imagine what I could have score if I waited until the end of their curriculum. They really have a great system, if you can afford it its probably the best prep. Also big props to Patrick Siewe.

I'm sorry if this is really crappy or haphazard but I tried to get down everything I could because I'm crunched for time, I will try my best to come back and make it more readable and answer questions.

Thanks again to GMAT Manhattan (I believe so strongly in their program I'm actually going to apply to be a tutor there, they really have a great system.)

by RajenBP » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:30 pm
In terms of hours its hard to say per day or per weeks, but in total amount of time spent studying it would be around 80-90 hours in total.

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

by jayhawk2001 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:23 pm
Hats off to you RajenBP. Congratulations and good luck with your apps !

by RajenBP » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:31 am
UPDATE.

I got a 6.0 on the AWA Essay.

While they say the essay is unimportant for apps, I pride myself on my writing ability so this was a nice win for me.

I'm glad that small error didn't cost me.

Community Manager
Followed by:2 members

Inspiration

by GCHall840 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:05 am
Hi RajenBP,
Now, your take on what you did to prepare for the GMAT was very inspiring. I think that you followed your instincts to get what you wanted out of your preparation process. Obviously, you are very good at getting to the point of what you are trying to do in any situation that comes to you in your life. I think that what you did for yourself was what I call, spectacular.

Thanks for your inspiration. Stories, like the one you shared with us, are what help other people the most. Congratulations on your wonderful success: A score of 760 on the GMAT. WOW!!!!
Greg

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

Re: Confusing situation 760 GMAT score

by resilient » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:20 pm
Hello - it seems like you guys are the ones to ask. So I have been doing about 50 questions a day in the official guide to the gmat books. I consistently score 88% accuracy. I am wondering what this boils down to score wise on the actual gmat. Also I have noticed that much of my errors come from careless mistakes or more importantly not fully understanding the word problems. Can anyone help me!?

RajenBP wrote:Overall, I'm actually disappointed in my score.

In my practice tests I was scoring between 780-800 so I was expecting a score in that range. However, the exam threw a bunch of questions I wasn't overall comfortable with. Additionally, I don't think I did great on the essays. Probably 4-5.

I guess I'm done, but again, overall I felt I could have done much better. I studied for 3 weeks so I guess I got away pretty well.

I must give a lot of credit to the GMAT Manhattan courses, as I feel they were very helpful in boosting my score. If I scored what I was scoring in practice tests, it would have been around a 790-800.

My advice, be prepared to score 20-30 points less or more than what you were scoring in practice tests, as the actual GMAT will chuck questions at you that are a bit different from the ones you're used too.
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Legendary Member

Re: Inspiration

by resilient » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:21 pm
Hello - it seems like you guys are the ones to ask. So I have been doing about 50 questions a day in the official guide to the gmat books. I consistently score 88% accuracy. I am wondering what this boils down to score wise on the actual gmat. Also I have noticed that much of my errors come from careless mistakes or more importantly not fully understanding the word problems. Can anyone help me!?

Legendary Member

Asking the proffesionals.

by resilient » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:25 pm
Hello-
I have been studying for months now and have been trying to closely follow the schedule from beatthegmat.com. I noticed that inthe quantitative section - I am losing points to small details and overall carelessness. Along with this a bigger hurdle is fully understanding the word problems. This causes point loss for me. I have bought all the books recommended from the site and am looking for pointers from the proffesionals. Interestingly I have been scoring a 88% accuracy in the OG books. How does this boil down to in score wise for the GMAT.

Community Manager
Followed by:2 members

Practicing

by GCHall840 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:12 pm
Hi Enginpasa1,
Have you taken any practice tests? If you go to mba.com and register on that site, you will be able to download the two GMATPrep tests from that site for free. You could also go to princetonreview.com and register on that site. Then, you would have access to the four Princeton Review tests for free as well. The GMATPrep tests are the closest to the real GMAT, but they don't come with any explanations. The Princeton Review tests do come with the subjects covered for each one of the questions covered on the tests, but there aren't any detailed explanations included, either.

I would say that you would have more of a feel for how you are doing in your preparation process, if you had some benchmarks to monitor your progress. That is why I gave you the suggestion about taking some of the practice tests that I mentioned. The results from those tests will give you an numerical indication of your progress at that point in time. Then, you could work from what you learned from how you did on those tests, to give yourself the means to improve in whatever you think is necessary.

Greg