OG DS questions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

OG DS questions

by gmatleyFool » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:49 pm
Just a quick question - the last 40 or so DS problems in the OG really kicked my butt.. about 60% correct, compared with a 95% rate in the first 100 or so.

Should I be worried? Or do they represent a class of difficulty that one won't see on such a scale during the real test?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by allenkt » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:59 pm
It is my understanding that the questions in the OG get harder as you go along. I am currently on question 110 out of 155 in DS so I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:24 pm
Yes, they get harder as you go through the book. You should expect, on the real thing, to get approximately half of the questions wrong overall (it may be 45%, it may be 60%, but closer to 50/50 than 90%+). The major determinant of score is the difficulty level of the questions.

So if you are getting about 60% of even the hardest ones right, that's good news - expect to see more of those than the easier ones on the test, b/c you will be scoring well and therefore will be given the harder questions selectively. DO NOT expect to get 95% of the questions right on the actual exam - that's NOT how it works.

As you get things right, the test will specifically try to give you things that you will then get wrong - as though it's searching for your limit - so you should expect to get a lot wrong on the test.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmatleyFool » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:54 pm
Stacey - thanks for your feedback, it was very useful when it mattered