Profile evaluation and a few questions

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation and a few questions

by xpander » Wed May 06, 2009 6:16 pm
I'm about to begin my application process for the Fall 2010 enrollment. I'm planning to apply in R1 cycle to most schools. First of all, here's my profile:

GMAT: 750 (50Q 41V) UGPA: 3.28 (Computer Eng. from Ivy)

4 yr equities risk management in top BB IBank -currently an associate

Ugrad EC: worked 20 hr/week throughout 4 yrs to finance my tuition, started and was a captain of intramural basketball team for 4 yrs, tutored SAT to local high school kids, couple club activities without significant leadership exp

Post graduation EC: been volunteering through NYCares (NYC volunteer network) for the last three years, just became a team leader in charge of project with 10 volunteers, ran couple of half marathons, started a club basketball team and play in a league

Career goal: Would like to go into international finance

My questions are:

1. I plan to apply to 7 schools in R1 - Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Chicago, Stern, Ross, Fuqua. Plus two in R2 if no interview from R1 - Columbia (RD) and Sloan. Is this reasonable given my profile? Am I applying to too many schools? Am I targeting the right range?

2. I see my UGrad GPA as a weakpoint. I don't have a favorable trend either - jumped a bit in soph/jr yrs but not much. Is my GPA low enough to warrant an extra essay (was in terrible financial shape so had to work)? Or will I just appear too defensive considering that my GPA isn't catastrophic.

3. Given my interest in international affairs, I took several continuing education classes at NYU in their Global Affairs program. While I enjoyed these classes very much and paid for the classes out of my own pocket, these classes are not graded. Should I mention these classes in my application and if so, do I have to send them transcript as well, since these are not graded classes?

4. Any other weakness/gaps you see in my profile that you think I should improve?

Thanks very much for your help!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Fri May 15, 2009 10:07 am
Dear Xpander,

Thanks for your post! I've offered answers to your questions and some additional thoughts below.

GMAT: 750 (50Q 41V) UGPA: 3.28 (Computer Eng. from Ivy)
>>Your academic profile is sound. The GMAT result is superb (and well-balanced). Your GPA is below average for the top schools, but the fact that you studied computer engineering and attended an Ivy League should help in this regard. I'd really need to see your transcripts to get a better handle on any potential 'red flags' academically, and I'd also like to know which Ivy League we're talking about, but that's more a level of detail that we get into with our clients...

>>One side note: while computer engineering is a plus due to the quantitative rigor that one associates with the degree, you should also keep in mind that it's a fairly common major in the MBA applicant pool. It's also an area of study that comes with some baggage (adcoms sometimes wonder if computer engineers are capable of leadership/effective communication or are better suited to number crunching and coding, etc).

4 yr equities risk management in top BB IBank -currently an associate
>>This is solid as well. While bankers are common in the pool, the fact that you've made the move from analyst to associate is less common. This will help you stand out somewhat.

Ugrad EC: worked 20 hr/week throughout 4 yrs to finance my tuition, started and was a captain of intramural basketball team for 4 yrs, tutored SAT to local high school kids, couple club activities without significant leadership exp
Post graduation EC: been volunteering through NYCares (NYC volunteer network) for the last three years, just became a team leader in charge of project with 10 volunteers, ran couple of half marathons, started a club basketball team and play in a league

>>Your XCs for both ugrad and the present are solid. While there is nothing that jumps off the page as unique (a lot of applicants in NYC are involved with NYCares), it's clear that you've been active and taken on leadership roles. I'm also intrigued by the basketball angle, since you've got good continuity from ugrad to date in that area.

>>Be sure to think about how your outside activities will translate to concrete involvement on the campus of your target schools. You'll need to point this out in essays, interviews, etc. For example, it might be smart to talk to the head of the basketball club/intramural sports club at your target schools, as well as the relevant community service organizations.

Career goal: Would like to go into international finance
>>This is somewhat vague. What firms might you target? What function (job title) are you looking for? Where would you be based? Do you have a short-term vs. long-term plan? I know it sounds odd to so thoroughly map these things out, but it's all a part of the MBA application process.

My questions are:

1. I plan to apply to 7 schools in R1 - Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg, Chicago, Stern, Ross, Fuqua. Plus two in R2 if no interview from R1 - Columbia (RD) and Sloan. Is this reasonable given my profile? Am I applying to too many schools? Am I targeting the right range?

>>I think the range of programs should be fine - you have a good spread of admissions difficulty from the HBS/Wharton group down towards the Ross/Duke/Stern group.

>>I am concerned that you may be biting off more than you can chew in terms of the number of schools. Most applicants look at 4-6 schools, since the essays, data forms and interviews involve a great deal of work - not to mention coaxing your recommenders into drafting tailored responses for each program, etc. I'd also caution you when it comes to applying to MIT Sloan in R2. As they only have two rounds, your odds are substantially better in R1.

2. I see my UGrad GPA as a weakpoint. I don't have a favorable trend either - jumped a bit in soph/jr yrs but not much. Is my GPA low enough to warrant an extra essay (was in terrible financial shape so had to work)? Or will I just appear too defensive considering that my GPA isn't catastrophic.
>>I'd ideally need to see your transcripts to offer a definitive response, but I am not hyper-concerned about the 3.28. In other words, I still think you can get into top programs despite being below their average. Keep in mind that you went to a solid school, pursued a challenging major, worked 20 hours/week and still managed to come out with decent marks. You also have a very high GMAT result to counter things.

>>As to whether or not you draft an essay about it, I think it could be a good move as a precautionary strategy (better that you 'position' the grades rather than let the adcom come to their own conclusions).

3. Given my interest in international affairs, I took several continuing education classes at NYU in their Global Affairs program. While I enjoyed these classes very much and paid for the classes out of my own pocket, these classes are not graded. Should I mention these classes in my application and if so, do I have to send them transcript as well, since these are not graded classes?
>>I think this could add an interesting dimension to your candidacy (actually a nice change of pace to help remove you from the banker and comp sci/engineering groups that are so over-represented in the applicant pool). As such, I'd include it - if not in the academics section, perhaps as one of your activities (pursuing non-graded, non-degree oriented coursework in global affairs). This is something we'd need to discuss to hash out the best approach.

>>On a related note, have you thought of Wharton/Hopkins, HBS/JFK or even Wharton/Lauder - given your interest in this area?

4. Any other weakness/gaps you see in my profile that you think I should improve?
>>You clearly have the basics for a competitive set of applications to top-tier schools. At this point it will come down to execution with your essays, recommendations and interviews as well as a few key strategic decisions vis-a-vis your overall positioning (career goals, GPA issue, global affairs angle). As I'm sure you are well aware, the main issue you'll face is standing out from the pack, but I think it can be done with some careful thought and hard work.

Feel free to send your resume to [email protected] if you'd like to set up a more in-depth chat. We offer a free session to anyone that sends along their resume, so that we can spend some time offering you our take on your candidacy.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.