Reapplication strategy suggestions?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Reapplication strategy suggestions?

by howell » Mon May 11, 2009 2:30 pm
Hi there,

So I am among those many applicants who did not gain a spot into a program during the most recent application cycle. I am already planning on resubmitting applications for this Fall, but I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions.

-Certainly greater involvement in extracurriculars can only help my cause, but can you address whether it will appear two-dimensional to admissions committees if it appears as if I have this newfound interest in, say, volunteering or some other extracurricular, in the months leading up to my application?

-Also was planning on completing two quantitative classes by this Fall to not only offset low undergrad GPA, but show ability (was a liberal arts major). Would obtaining good grades in both calculus and statistics course suffice? Would taking a third course in accounting, for example, make my reapplication that much more compelling?

-Any other reapplication strategies you can suggest in the months ahead? Would taking a new language be of interest if relevant to my goals? Doubt I can save the whales or travel to Antarctica by the time Round 1 deadlines arrive...

Thanks!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

Re: Reapplication strategy suggestions?

by Graham » Wed May 13, 2009 3:07 am
Dear Howell,

Thanks for your post! Please see my comments below:

So I am among those many applicants who did not gain a spot into a program during the most recent application cycle. I am already planning on resubmitting applications for this Fall, but I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions.
>>I'm sorry to to hear that your applications were not successful this past season. Given the volume of applications that the schools are seeing, you are certainly not alone. Looking on the bright side, I should mention that reapplicants typically gain admissions at a higher rate than their first-timer peers in the pool.

-Certainly greater involvement in extracurriculars can only help my cause, but can you address whether it will appear two-dimensional to admissions committees if it appears as if I have this newfound interest in, say, volunteering or some other extracurricular, in the months leading up to my application?
>>Keep the following points in mind as you make decisions regardings XCs:

1) It is always better to be doing something rather than nothing.

2) Activities that can be positioned as continuation of a longstanding interest are much better than activities that appear to come from out of the blue.

3) Pursuing a hobby (like playing in a jazz quartet) is just as valuable as volunteer work (from an admissions standpoint).

-Also was planning on completing two quantitative classes by this Fall to not only offset low undergrad GPA, but show ability (was a liberal arts major). Would obtaining good grades in both calculus and statistics course suffice? Would taking a third course in accounting, for example, make my reapplication that much more compelling?
>>While it never hurts to have a significant number of courses that make up an alternative transcript, I am also conscious of the fact that you have to determine where to best spend your time (since a third course may take away from work on XCs, essays, etc). As such, in order to answer this question, I'd need to know the following:
1) How low was your 'low ugrad gpa'?
2) Where did you go to school?
3) What did you study?
4) How did your GMAT results turn out? What was the quant. percentile?

-Any other reapplication strategies you can suggest in the months ahead? Would taking a new language be of interest if relevant to my goals? Doubt I can save the whales or travel to Antarctica by the time Round 1 deadlines arrive...
>>It's hard to offer advice here without having read your applications from last year or having a better understanding of your overall profile. Having said that, if there's one thing I'd push you to do it's get feedback on your applications. Start by asking the schools (some of them offer formal feedback sessions, others do so informally and some will refuse). You might also have an admissions consulting firm craft a feedback report. Feel free to email Clear Admit ([email protected]) to set up a free review of your profile with one of our admissions counselors.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Re: Reapplication strategy suggestions?

by howell » Wed May 13, 2009 3:33 am
Hey Graham,

Sorry for not fleshing out my profile. Here is a little more about me:

34, male, currently work as a financial journalist covering banking at major media outlet, career goal: want to translate current work experience/knowledge into job into consultant position for the banking industry...

GMAT: 720 (Q:75% V: 97%)
Undergrad (Top 20 school) GPA: 2.7
(1st) Masters (in Journalism) GPA: 3.3

Thanks,
howell

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Wed May 13, 2009 4:22 am
Howell,

Thanks for the additional details. As you've likely gathered, a 2.7 GPA is a pretty serious liability for top-tier programs. This liability is only somewhat addressed by your 720 on the GMAT exam (since a 720 is just a bit above the average for top schools and your quant. score is below the coveted 80th percentile). As such, I like the idea of supplemental coursework to showcase your quantitative skills (given that you come from a journalism background). You'll need a 4.0 GPA in this coursework.

One are that comes to light thanks to the details you've provided is your age. At 34 years of age, it's not going to be easy for you to gain entry into top-tier program (as you are 6+ years north of the average age). This will require a specific approach in your applications, to help alleviate any concerns that your target programs may have about older applicants.

On a positive note, I am intrigued by your background, since it will indeed help you to stand out from the pool. I'm less comfortable with your career goals (in terms of the schools deeming them to be feasible/palatable), but perhaps I'd need more detail in that regard.

It sounds like you'd benefit from setting up a free chat with us, so feel free to reach out.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Thanks Graham! I'll be in touch!

Best,
howell