sc question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

sc question

by jamesk486 » Wed May 16, 2007 3:47 pm
The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were ascended from Versailles, France, in a basket beneath a hot-air balloon in September 1783.

A.
B. The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that ascended
C. A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers that ascended
D. A sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were the first balloon passengers to ascend
E. A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers ascending

a tough one

Community Manager

Re: sc question

by jayhawk2001 » Wed May 16, 2007 6:25 pm
jamesk486 wrote:The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were ascended from Versailles, France, in a basket beneath a hot-air balloon in September 1783.

A.
B. The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that ascended
C. A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers that ascended
D. A sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were the first balloon passengers to ascend

a tough one
I think we can eliminate A, D and E due to tense / verb problems

I think C is incorrect as it says the 3 animals were the first passengers
to ascend from Versailles while the intent is to mention that they
were the first to go on a balloon.

Tough one between B and C. I'll choose B

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by RAGS » Thu May 17, 2007 8:33 am
whats the source???????
If It Is To Be It Is Up To Me

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Mon May 21, 2007 5:04 am
C wrongly alters the meaning of the sentence - it makes you believe that the sheep, duck and rooster were the first balloon passengers that ascended from Versailles (instead of the first passengers ever!)
D is also faulty for similar reasons
E - continuous tense is wrong
A - that "were" ascended is wrong usage
Hence B

by drhomler » Thu May 24, 2007 12:50 pm
I would have to agree its between B and C and C alters the meaning so B would be my answer. Is there confirmation on the correct answer?

by mv12 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:40 pm
My take is one A...as the birds etc can't ascend themselves..so they have to be object of the action and so they were ascended should be correct.

@Experts : Can u pls look into this.

Followed by:2 members

by hey_thr67 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:31 pm
I think E is the answer as in all other options that is used for plural antecedent. The present participle seems to be modifying passengers appropriately.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
GMAT Score:770

by eagleeye » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:36 pm
jamesk486 wrote:The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were ascended from Versailles, France, in a basket beneath a hot-air balloon in September 1783.

A.

a tough one
Let's dissect this one:

A. The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were ascended from Versailles.

"were ascended from" is unidiomatic. Discard A.

B. The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that ascended from Versailles.

This one corrects idiom problem with the original sentence. It also maintains the intended meaning of the sentence. Let's keep it as a contender.

C. A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers that ascended from Versailles.
Even though this is grammatically correct, it changes the intended meaning. It makes it seem as if the three animals were the passengers in the "first balloon flight from Versailles." and not necessarily "the first ever balloon flight".
Discard C.

D. A sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were the first balloon passengers to ascend from Versailles.
This one is an incomplete sentence. Discard D.

E. A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers ascending from Versailles.
Two problems with this one. It's a worse option than C because not only does it change the intended meaning by placement of "balloon" close to "ascending" , but also changes the form from past participle to past progressive, which can't be used to describe a historical event by itself. Discard E.

This only leaves us with B as the best and the only correct option.
Last edited by eagleeye on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Gabbar@750+ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:42 pm
The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were ascended from Versailles, France, in a basket beneath a hot-air balloon in September 1783.

A.

a tough one

I think the answer is C here.
As D,E are eliminated because of the tense usage. The questions stem states that it happened in 1973 so these options are OUT.A is wrong because of passive construction.

Now coming to B and C. IF you observe closely the meaning

B actually says that the First pasengers were sheep,duck ect which is not what the sentence says.

C says that of all passengers till now , Sheep,Duck etc were first to be ascended.

This is a bit tricky one,but not a tough one.

OA pls. Also , please tell the source from which this sentence was picked.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:26 am
I have received a PM asking me to contribute to this thread.

Answer A is incorrect because it uses the passive unnecessarily.
Answer [spoiler]B[/spoiler] is correct.
Answer [spoiler]C[/spoiler] changes the intended meaning. The original meaning is: 1. the three animals were the first to fly in a balloon and their trip started in Versailles. The meaning conveyed by answer C is: the three animals were first balloon passengers that flew from Versailles.
Answer D changes the meaning and is redundant.
Answer E also changes the meaning but it is less wordy.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kalpita123 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 pm
In ans choice (B), is the modifier "that" not modifying only "a rooster" ?

Is this an exception to the "touch rule"?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:37 am
The pronoun "that" can concern both, the noun that stands just next to it or the plural subject composed of a list of items. Usually it is easier to determine whether "that" concerns the whole list or just the last item because the following verb is either plural or singular. However, in this sentence the form "ascended" can refer both to the singular and plural subject. Therefore, we need to judge using our intuition whether "that-clause" modifies the collective subject composed of all listed items or only the last noun.

What helps us determine which answer is correct is the POE. Since all other answers are somehow flawed, we can be sure that "that-clause" conveys the correct meaning and concerns all the listed animals.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course